Spur from a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it is not right to spur from a spur but that is what we have inherited.

To make this safer could I had a fused spur box on the spur. This would then blow this fuse if the spur was overloaded.

This spur is serving 2 double plugs.

Thoughts?

p.s. I know regs say not to spur from a spur but I am more interested in whether this approach will at least protect the spur nad make it safe

Sponsored Links
Its not right and I think that your just being lazy.

The correct way would be to run a TE cable from the second spur and run that back to where the 1st spur picks up the ring.

You then end up with 2 spurs that are part of the ring circuit and capable of taking normal loads.

Othere have suggested that the 1st spur, nearest the ring has a higher rated fuse and the second has a lower rated (say 3a fuse).

3a x 230v= just under 700w load, that may not suit the load you intend to put on the double socket.

Best and safest is to re-wire and add both spurs in to the ring

I am not being lazy! Honest
I want to prevent a fire and make it safe until I can get to do it.

I just wanted to replace one of the sockets on the spur with a fuse to at least make it safe until I can do it.

By the look of things it was originally wired like this from new build in 1976. I dont want to put a fuse in if it wil not make it safe. False sense of security and all that.

Chri5 - That's a bit harsh. The OP has not suggested he can't be bothered. He is keen to make the circuit safe, and he is correct in that what he wants to do OK.

It is perfectly acceptable to fit a fused spur on the end of a spur from a ring, then feed s/o's from the outgoing side, so that all sockets fed from that spur are limited to 13A.

That will indeed do the job the OP wants (to prevent fire risk) until time comes for decoration.

It is perfectly safe to wire it in this fashion - why are you suggesting it is not?

Sponsored Links
Chri5 said:
Othere have suggested that the 1st spur, nearest the ring has a higher rated fuse and the second has a lower rated (say 3a fuse).

3a x 230v= just under 700w load, that may not suit the load you intend to put on the double socket.
Nobody has ever suggested that on this forum, because to do so would be bonkers and a waste of time and money. Show me where somebody, other than you, said this.

Firstly , thanks for all the interest.

I was under the following impression:

If there is an EXISTING spur from a ring then the maximum should be a double socket.

I have a spur (fitted by builders when house was built) that feeds 2 double sockets.

If I put a fuse socket BEFORE the first double socket, then BOTH double sockets (when drawing power) would go via the fuse.

My idea was if somebody plugged in 4 heaters, rather than catching the spur alight, it would pop the fuse. A 13 AMP fuse say would still protect the spurred cable.

I know it is not a recommended way of doing things but I think it is at least safe. I want to make it safe so I can sleep at night.

If what I am suggesting does not protect this circuit can someone advise.

Also - what would be the maximum wattage that would take to blow the fuse on the four sockets. I think a TV is run from one of them at the moment.

I thank you!
[/b]

Fitting an FCU to feed the two spurs from is fine. No problem at all with that.

The 13A fuse will take a load of upto 3kW.

Crafty said:
Chri5 said:
Show me where somebody, other than you, said this.

Methinks Chri5 is a plumber dabbling with the occult :LOL: ;)

George Michael was arrested for lewd acts in public toilets so I don't think he is the best person for telling anybody how to do it ;o)

Thanks for all comments. Frying tonight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back