spur of a spur

Sponsored Links
Thank you:), I will downsize the breaker to 20A. Its much easier than messing around with fcus.
thanks again(y)

And also remove the "return" leg of the ring to make it a radial. To my knowledge, you shouldn't have a ring final with a 20A fuse/breaker.

And also remove the "return" leg of the ring to make it a radial. To my knowledge, you shouldn't have a ring final with a 20A fuse/breaker.
There's no reason why one can't, but there would be very little point.

However, looked at the other way around, if the 'return leg' is already there, there's no real point in removing it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There's no reason why one can't, but there would be very little point.

However, looked at the other way around, if the 'return leg' is already there, there's no real point in removing it.

Kind Regards, John

Oh, I stand corrected then. I thought the the regs explicitly stated it. I would personally remove the return leg to make it more "standard", although as you say, there's no requirement to do so.

Oh, I stand corrected then. I thought the the regs explicitly stated it.
No, the regs merely say that one can have a circuit wired in cable with a CCC as low as 20A protected by a 30/32A fuse/MCB (which normally would not be allowed) IF it is a ring circuit.

There's nothing in the regs that say that one can't add extra ('unnecessary') cable to a circuit which is already compliant (which a 20A 2.5mm² radial will be)
I would personally remove the return leg to make it more "standard", although as you say, there's no requirement to do so.
Fair enough. However, as I said, you would gain nothing and, for what it's worth, would lose the CPC redundancy.

Kind Regards, John

Also if you remove the return leg there's a chance in a big ring that the last socket before the removed leg might not be up to spec due to too much cable between it and the mcb. You would be better if you must remove a link to remove one in the middle

Also if you remove the return leg there's a chance in a big ring that the last socket before the removed leg might not be up to spec due to too much cable between it and the mcb.
Although theoretically true, it would have to be a pretty long ring for that to become an issue, particularly after the OPD had been reduced to 20A.
You would be better if you must remove a link to remove one in the middle
If I understand you correctly, would that not result in the path length to the 'last socket' on one of the legs being even longer than if one simply removed the 'return leg'?

Kind Regards, John

Which is the return leg? :)
You make me realise that I was thinking of a different thread, in which there was a string of sockets with a 'return leg' running back past all of them to the CU - but I'm not sure that makes much difference to what is being said in this thread.

Kind Regards, John

Although theoretically true, it would have to be a pretty long ring for that to become an issue, particularly after the OPD had been reduced to 20A.
Agreed but I was thinking about volt drop

(((I said:: remove from the middle)))
If I understand you correctly, would that not result in the path length to the 'last socket' on one of the legs being even longer than if one simply removed the 'return leg'?
Depends on the lengths of the legs, I'm assuming the return leg isn't just coming back exactly the same way! When I say the middle, read that as the middle in terms of cable length not in terms of number of accessories

Agreed but I was thinking about volt drop
Fair enough. Mind you, with a 20A circuit, even if the whole 20A is at the very end, one could have about 32 metres of 2.5mm² and keep within the 5% VD guideline, which is probably more than most radials in 'ordinary' houses.
(((I said:: remove from the middle))) ... Depends on the lengths of the legs, I'm assuming the return leg isn't just coming back exactly the same way!
As I recently admitted, I was actually thinking of a different thread in which the return leg was "coming back exactly the same way.".
When I say the middle, read that as the middle in terms of cable length not in terms of number of accessories
Yes, if one splits it somewhere around the middle of the cable length, that would be the ideal - but, as I said, whether one thinks about Zs or VD, it's probably unlikely (in an 'ordinary house') that there would be a problem with a 20A circuit, no matter where one split it.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, All I propose to do is downsize the mcb to allow me to take the feed from the spur to the attic as well as comply with wiring regs, keep it all above board, I know some people wouldn't give this a second thought and carry on regardless without giving a rats arse about regs. I like to do things properly.

With regards to the ring I fail to see any point in removing one of the legs,I'm not sure what that will achieve?
thanks

It sounds like I may have thrown a spanner in the works by mentioning that, so feel free to ignore me! Leaving the ring intact appears perfectly acceptable, and even has some advantages (CPC redundancy!).

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back