spur of a spur

Even if the anticipated loads are low, it seems a bit of a pity to me to down-rate a 32A ring circuit to 20A just so that one can have more than one socket on an 'unfused spur'. Personally, I would either extend the ring, as described, or else (per previous post) convert the spur to a fused one, leaving the rest of the ring as 32A.
That was just another option I was considering if I was going to do it that way I would of left the circuit breaker as it is, It seems both ideas are allowed regardless, However it makes more sense to me just to run one feed to the attic, so I have stuck to the original idea. As I have said I don't need 32 amps and its the only thing that is stopping me. I have just finished running the cable from the spur to the attic socket position its not connected yet obviously just in place, I will connect it as soon as the new hager 20 amp circuit breaker arrives.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I was considering that idea but then I thought it would be daft just having one random spur in the cupboard control just a bedroom socket as well as the attic and it can easily get knocked or damaged, I will just down rate the circuit breaker but I will leave the ring wiring as it is, like I say certainly don't need 32 amps upstairs or ever draw that much current in general, 20 amps should be plenty for me and it allows me to do what I intend as the cabling will properly protected which is what this is all about after all.
That was just another option I was considering if I was going to do it that way I would of left the circuit breaker as it is, It seems both ideas are allowed regardless, However it makes more sense to me just to run one feed to the attic, so I have stuck to the original idea. ... I have just finished running the cable from the spur to the attic socket position its not connected yet obviously just in place, I will connect it as soon as the new hager 20 amp circuit breaker arrives.
Fair enough - it's obviously up to you.

However, what I mentioned could be done with just the single cable you have run from the attic to the spurred socket. All you would have to do would be to install an FCU in the cupboard next to the socket, and route the present feed to that socket through the FCU. I can't see why an FCU would be any more likely to be damaged than the socket next to it, and if it were an unswitched FCU, there would be no risk of someone knocking it and 'switching it off'.

It was just a thought, given that there are all sorts of ways of skinning a cat! I just thought that it might be attractive because it didn't involve having to do any work in the CU (and, for what it's worth, would leave the ring itself at 32A).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back