Spur off ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to take a spur off one leg of a domestic ring circuit where it runs up the wall in a cable tray.

Am I right in thinking the best way to do this is to remove the cable sheath lengthwise without cutting the cable and bare the conductors before placing the (unbroken) conductors in a 30A junction box? Then I would add my spur.

Don't want to break the cpc, but how to get sleeving onto it?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
You could do as you say and use a little insulation tape but any junction box with screw terminals must be accessible so taking a spur from a socket is the more common way of doing it. There are special junction boxes with cable strain grips and spring terminals which can be buried in a wall but keeping to permitted zones can also be a problem and also providing earth leakage protection. Plus of course it should be inspected and tested on completions and a minor works cert made out.
Nothing is easy today.
Eric

Hello,

I want to take a spur off one leg of a domestic ring circuit where it runs up the wall in a cable tray.

CT3.JPG

:?: :?: :?:

BAS, that sounded very strange to me as well!!!!!!!!!!

Cable tray :!: , domestic dwelling :?:

Must be one of those swanky industrial conversions ;)

Bet his house looks like this

:) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, well, I'm working on that industrial chic look.

The cable tray is to be boxed in and doesn't enter a special location and was a cleaner solution than hacking off the plaster.

As far as connecting to an existing ring is concerned, is there a requirement to check what exists already even if it is unaltered (except for the removal of a bit of insulation)? I can see that all 6 feet of the new wiring would need to be tested.

Entire house rewired and tested 18 months ago.

Not doing this myself by the way, but I know I'm going to get shtick from the guy if I say the whole circuit needs testing at the CU.

The cable tray is to be boxed in
It's in a correct zone, I trust?

As far as connecting to an existing ring is concerned, is there a requirement to check what exists already even if it is unaltered (except for the removal of a bit of insulation)?
As it's new, and certified, it's unlikely to matter if you don't re-test the existing circuit, but if you are going to test it afterwards you're going to have to disconnect it anyway, so why not do a quick continuity & IR test JIC?

I can see that all 6 feet of the new wiring would need to be tested.
But you can't do that, you have to test the entire circuit, as it's changed.

Entire house rewired and tested 18 months ago.
Shouldn't be any problems with the testing then....

Not doing this myself by the way, but I know I'm going to get shtick from the guy if I say the whole circuit needs testing at the CU.
What guy?

Anyway - don't take any stick - the whole circuit does need testing which means all the usual disconnecting and cross-connecting at the CU.

would the tray need bonding and if its boxed in why use the tray or did he have spare bit some where

Tray would require bonding.

Maybe it's being used for multiple circuits, and even Cat 5, BT and TV cables if 50mm< air gap between cables is adheared to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back