Spur without FCU or Ring Main ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , Can I first say that I am a mechanic and not an electrician , so please excuse my ignorance !! lol.
I have spent a long time reading the forum for my answer , and I think I may know it , but just in case I missed something !!!.........

Is there any way of wiring 4 sockets into my new conservatory , without either:

1. Taking a spur of the existing ring and putting in an FCU ?

( I will probably be using more than 13amps i.e. 3KW heater etc etc)

2. Extending the existing ring main to include the new sockets

(due to location of walls existing ring etc , very hard to do!)

SO basically any (legal/safe) way of connecting up 4 extra sockets to my existing ring without using the methods above please ??

Any advice welcomed !!

Sponsored Links
Run a new radial circuit from the consumer unit, but I guess that isn't the answer you're after!
The two methods you mention are both acceptable, if you tell us what your plans are we'll tell you if it is allowed or not.

Other combinations might be:

Two spurs each with two sockets and connected via FCUs

Four Spurs (if you can find anywhere to connect them!)

Run a new radial circuit from the consumer unit, but I guess that isn't the answer you're after!
The two methods you mention are both acceptable, if you tell us what your plans are we'll tell you if it is allowed or not.

Hi , Thanks for your reply , you've actually confirmed my thoughts , that including your suggestion, there does appear to be only 3 options ?

You don't really want to know what I had planned to do !!!??!

Basically before I looked into it further , I was just going to run a spur from the ring main , supplying the 4 sockets....and that was it !!

As I said I am no electrician ! , maybe I should just leave it to the pro's !

Sponsored Links
Other combinations might be:

Two spurs each with two sockets and connected via FCUs

Four Spurs (if you can find anywhere to connect them!)

Unfortunately the builders have already run the wiring inside the cavity wall already , and I only have the option of one spur ! ( unless I want to start from scratch again ..... major hassle !)

But thanks for the suggestions :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back