Spur

O

oompah

At the moment i have spur from the upstairs ring suppling the garage i run the washing machine plus a freezer and sometimes other tools like drill etc.If i put a 13a inline fused switch would this protect the wiring better and can i add another socket.

Sponsored Links
I hope that you have an RCD either in the house consumer unit or in the garage that provides safety protection for this spur to the garage?
If not your first priority will be to get one installed!

If you have a spur from the ring then you can only have one socket on it. If you were to terminate the spur in a 13A fused spur (FCU) then you can run as many sockets as you like from the output side of the FCU but be aware that the total max load on all of those sockets will be 13A.

Do please remember that there is legislation governing electrical work like the one you are contemplating.... :confused:

Taylortwocities said:
I hope that you have an RCD either in the house consumer unit or in the garage that provides safety protection for this spur to the garage?
If not your first priority will be to get one installed!

If you have a spur from the ring then you can only have one socket on it. If you were to terminate the spur in a 13A fused spur (FCU) then you can run as many sockets as you like from the output side of the FCU but be aware that the total max load on all of those sockets will be 13A.

Do please remember that there is legislation governing electrical work like the one you are contemplating.... :confused:
Its only protected with the 30a fuse in the cu it was wired in like this when we bought the house from new 20 yrs ago so.Where best to fix a rcd and what size protection.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back