Spyware coming from this site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been finding quiite a bit of unwanted stuff on my PC so I'm using one of the spyware detectors, Spybot, which is recommended by PC Magazine.
It warns me frequently that this site is trying to download adware such as "Adviva", and 2 others, and also "doubleclick" which is often associated with "malware".

I noticed before doing the PC housework that I was getting a lot of spam, some of which had obviously got personal information about me.

Webmaster please answer.

I can't answer, but i have moved it to forum information

Sponsored Links
Hi ChrisR,

You won't get any spyware from this site.

What, I believe, your software is referring to is the use of 'cookies'.

These are a common occurence on websites and they are tiny nuggets of information that are stored on your computer. They can be used for numerous purposes, such as saving passwords, login details so you don't have to login eveytime you visit a site. Banner ad companies use them to track adverts and try to make sure you don't get the same adverts everytime. The reason you software is complaining is because the addresses of theses sites (adviva/doubleclick) doesn't match the site you are viewing (www.diynot.com).

I can categorically sat that there is absolutely no way that this would result in spam, I am the only one who has access to the email addresses of users (unless they have made it publicly visible themselves) and I haven't and would never sell/give them away. That's a promise. :)

I don't see why the site needs to store cookies on my pc with eg an adviva address-? So some adware can read it? Spybot has blocked them anyway and things still work.

Another thing I don't understand is why email addresses are considered "untidy". Putting it for others to see in my Profile, means web crawlers can find it, whereas I can disguise it easily enough in text, such as mynameATaolDOTcom.

The reason adviva store the cookies on your computer is because it is adviva delivering the adverts, they use cookies as do all banner ad companies for tracking what you have seen to make sure you get an even spread of adverts rather than all the same one. As you have said it still works without cookies but without that functionality.

Fair comment about the email addresses in profiles allowing crawlers to find it, you can always add it in your profile disguised under say Interests. We hope to address the email in profile issue soon in a forum update to prevent it from being harvested by crawlers.

:)

Sponsored Links
I see, thanks for that. I think the spy-spotting utilities are keen to raise an alarm at the slightest reason just so people worry and buy their stuff.

I also keep getting warnings from Spybot about Adviva and Doubleclick. I think there's some way of setting Spybot to block them silently. If I find it I'll let you know. I agree that spy blockers are over-cautious but if they're damned if they are then they'd be damned even more if they weren't. You have to agree that Spybot is good value for money!

PS: For those who don't know what this spyware stuff is all about, go to www.safer-networking.org.

As I mentioned in another post, its getting annoying that the Back button on my browser takes me (usually) to an adviva address (in fact, this doesnt actually do anything so I have to click Back again

Even more annoying is that this is not always the case, so sometimes I click Back twice only to find myself on the front page again.......

It sound like you have some spyware or other pest redirecting your browser to adviva. Why not check you pc with 'pestpatrol'. It will notify you if this is the case (normally it has inbedded itself in your registry).

See here

Sponsored Links
Back