sql database?

B

breezer

i googled, site that looks interesting is in german, (its english tiltle says waht is an sql database, the rest is in german, with no translate option) what i want to know is what exactly is an sql database?

Sponsored Links
A database is simply any structured collection of data, which needn't be stored on a computer, but an SQL database is a repository of data, accessed via a computer, than can be retrieved using a software language known as Structured Query Language.

The term SQL was first coined, if I remember correctly, by Oracle Corporation, although some people believe that IBM came up with it first. Nowadays every man and his dog uses it, i.e. Ingres (RIP), Sybase, Microsoft, et al, and I think there's a even an ISO standard for SQL.

Usually, but not exclusively, the database concerned is a 'relational' one, and SQL provides for relational operations to be performed on the table/row/column based data.

If you're a pratt then you can pronounce the letter SQL as if it's the word "sequel". :)roll:)

i see (i think)

so for arguments sake, this forum software could be in sql?

That all depends on what you mean by "this forum software".

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
If you're a pratt then you can pronounce the letter SQL as if it's the word "sequel". :)roll:)

Then everyone I know in the IT industry is a pratt :rolleyes:

SELECT * FROM it-industry WHERE known_as = "sequel" :D

breezer said:
diynot, of course
I knew what you meant by "this forum", but which software are you referring to? :confused:

Eddie M said:
Softus said:

Then everyone I know in the IT industry is a pratt
So be it, but you don't know everyone in the IT industry.

The results of the query in that example would return not only those people who know "SQL" as "Sequel" , but also those people who know "Sequel" as "Sequel", which includes me. The former is the set that I was referring to.

Softus said:
breezer said:
diynot, of course
I knew what you meant by "this forum", but which software are you referring to? :confused:

Eddie M said:
Softus said:

Then everyone I know in the IT industry is a pratt

The results of the query in that example would return not only those people who know "SQL" as "Sequel" , but also those people who know "Sequel" as "Sequel", which includes me. The former is the set that I was referring to.

"Select *", naughty. :LOL:

Softus said:

True, but those I do know, including quite a few DBA's and programmers refer to SQL as "sequel", I don't know anyone that says S Q L :?:

Eddie M said:
Softus said:

True, but those I do know, including quite a few DBA's and programmers refer to SQL as "sequel", I don't know anyone that says S Q L :?:

I'll be your first. I have a DB2 background and it was generally referred to as SQL. However, I seem to remember one contract I had where they called it Squirrel. :LOL:

perhaps you two should start another post called "how to pronounce SQL" :LOL: (since i started the question in the first place)

I have also found out the sql can use php

can some one expalin that one to me?

I know php is something to do with pearl (what ever that is) and i also know this is a php forum (php must be something to do with pearl. or php is some acronym to do with pearl)

Igorian said:
Eddie M said:
Softus said:

I'll be your first. I have a DB2 background and it was generally referred to as SQL. However, I seem to remember one contract I had where they called it Squirrel. :LOL:

I still use DB2 (DB/2) :!: maybe it's changed 'cos we all call it sequel :D or more usually that pile of mainframe s**te ! TSO / Fileaid, we love it..... not :!:

breezer said:
perhaps you two should start another post called "how to pronounce SQL" :LOL: (since i started the question in the first place)

I know php is something to do with pearl (what ever that is) and i also know this is a php forum (php must be something to do with pearl. or php is some acronym to do with pearl)

Very basically, php is a programming or scripting language. You could consider SQL as an extension to a programming language to provide database support. SQL can be embedded into php (and other programming language) code to provide database access.

Forums are often scripted or programmed in php and the database used to store messages, users etc is sometimes MySQL.

breezer said:

PHP is a scripting language that can utilise sequel or SQL (whichever floats your boat) statements in order to obtain information from a database. For instance the rather rubbish example I gave returns all records from the IT industry table where the value in the table "known as" equals "sequel"

Clear as mud :?:

Edit, don't know why I bother :D

Sponsored Links
Back