Square edged floorboards or T & G

G

george765

I am laying a the floor in a small loft conversion soon and planned to use square edge boards just like those in the rest of the house. I dislike T&G as they are a pain if you want lift them to do Plumbing /electrical alterations. I realise the extra strength you get from T&G but SE has been ok in the past so am I missing something as everyone seems to fit T&G ?

Sponsored Links
The idea is to do all the plumbing and electrical work that might need to be done, and do it right, so that the boards don't need to be lifted.

Or the cleverer people, create service channels for the services, and form easily removed duct covers in the floor.

You may find that modern timber will shrink and cup all over the place when used as SE boards, and is nowhere near as suitable as what used to be used.

You can use 25mm thick plywood and the edges don't need to be supported over 400mm joists. Same applies to solid wood floor boards i assume. Older boards are generally better grade than modern wood, hence the need for together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back