Square or taper-edge plasterboard

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm boarding out a room this weekend in prep to get a plasterer in. Planning to have the whole room skimmed so do I use taper edge or square edge plasterboard?

Ta iep

Sponsored Links
Square.

Taper edge is primarily for tape and fill.

Also a pain when cutting. Ideal in a bumped up standard 2.4 ceiling that is being filled and sanded otherwise use square.

Hmm 50/50 at the moment. I can see reasons for both. Anyone else got any thoughts?

iep

Sponsored Links
Square edge for plastering buddy, Tapered is for dry lining as matey says.

Square.

Go with Noseall, 16,000 posts verses 43 posts........... :rolleyes:

Andy
Thanks for the support Andy but i did not want this to be a pi$$ing contest.:cool:
Whilst tapered edge boards would be ok, from a practical point of view they can be a pain regards the taper, particularly where off-cuts are concerned.

I personally don't like tapered edge boards and for the same reason detest 9.5mm boards.

1 question i have about tapered is why isnt the ends tapered aswell.
how are you meant to tape the ends properly????

so as its being plastered then use straight edge.

It's probably because at 2.4 they are long enough to do the walls height with a single sheet.
I've seen the dryliners putting a taper on the edges when they needed to though.

so as its being plastered then use straight edge.

If your studwork is 400 or 600 centers then you should only have to use them the "correct way up" with the tapers on the side, unless your wall is over 2.4m.

Its easier to plaster over square edge board so go for that. :)

The taper is on the decorating side.
That`s the plastering side too , nowadays ;) Ze Germans have decreed to us - Knauf has blitzed British Gypsum - Never in the field of jobbing building , has so much been owed by so many ...................

Wow, fair amount of chat here. Cheers all.

Sounds like my best plan then is to go with square edge (12.5mm). Thanks to all who contributed.

FYI, the room has 2.8m walls and I'm doing the 5 degree ceiling too (3m each pitch) so joining the square ends of the tapered board would have been an issue if I was going with taped seams.

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back