Square versus Round Notched trowel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an amateur questions like this keep popping up and the people behind the counter are unable to answer them.

So I am turning to the pros out there.

Why would you use one over the other?

Sponsored Links
As an amateur questions like this keep popping up and the people behind the counter are unable to answer them.

So I am turning to the pros out there.

Why would you use one over the other?
No opinion on this topic? No one know the difference? Or is there no difference and it's purely personal preference?

Have used both over the years but tend to use square notch mainly.I think the rounded notches are supposed to give more complete coverage with larger format tiles but a lot of it is personal preference.

Found this explanation on another tiling Furum:
Square notched trowels are really for getting less than 100% coverage therefore are not really brilliant to work on floors as they don't give the full coverage that's required to ensure a tile stays put on the floor 100% of the time. A thick-bed round notched trowel was designed to ensure 100% coverage and now the same shape with extra cut-outs in them to increase spread-ability of adhesive to ensure a faster fix. Then there's a smaller notched trowel called a thin-bed solid bed for 100% coverage on thinner bed of adhesives such as walls. Although on walls the coverage is around 60% - 80% for dry areas and 80% - 100% for wet.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back