Squaring of a brick archway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
hi guys been a while, iam not quite sure how to go about this, here is a pic of the archway I want to square of, it was a external wall until a kitchen extension iad say a good 20 years ago. Would you say the arch it's self is supporting the walls above? How would I make a door and frame fit this opening. Appreciate any help thanks Carl

Sponsored Links
I'd install a lintel above the position of the new door frame and then build some insulated stud-work up to the existing arch.

Did you see this being built?

I would have thought that the builder cut a square hole and used a premade arch plaster kit?

Hi thanks for replys guys, iad like to think it's just decorative, it looks like it's actually sat into the plaster stone work acting as a lintel? Think ial just dig away at the plaster above and see if anything stands out. Another question do you think a door frame would look right seen as tho it's a deep opening? Appreciate your help thanks

Sponsored Links
What size door (heigth and width) would you like?
What heigth and width is the opening?
What height is the springing point on either side - the height that the curve begins?
Which side do you want to hang the door (and for it to open into the pool room)?
Do you want the door lining centred or to one side?
Do you intend to remove the decorative swept plaster mouldings?
What about skirtings?
Does the pool room flooring flow through into the other room?
Have you considered where and how the new switching arrangement will work?

Few houses have that type of arch on an external door . If the soffitt of the arch is at the same height as other doorways, then it's most likely the existing lintel is in and the plaster is decorative. But there may be a shallower segmental arch there.

Can you look at any neighbouring properties?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back