Squash at the Olympics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why No Squash Rackets at the Olympics?
I am past the age of enjoying this fantastic sport although my son is playing the game at a very high level at present. A question has bugged me, and others, for more than 40 years and that is 'Why is Squash Rackets not played at the Olympic Games or any other international tournaments such as the Commonwealth Games, when such hideous 'Sports' as Synchronised Swimming and others are readily incorporated in the games.'

Squash is as a demanding and skillful Sport as badminton, Tennis, Table Tennis etc and a lot more demanding and skillful than a lot of other events happily accepted by the Olympics Committee.

I have talked to International and World ranked Squash players and officials in the Sport and none can comprehend the non acceptance of the Sport at International Sporting events. All non participants of Squash I have asked for their opinion, unanimously agree with me that Squash, without question, should be an Olympic Sport. This acceptance alone, would encourage the participation in the game by many more young people, and any Sport participation is invariably a good thing.

Has anyone any Ideas as to why the Sport in not included in the Olympics?

OH! Please let's not have the smart a**e quoting Darts or Snooker. Whilst these sports are extremely skillful in their own right, they are hardly physically demanding, which may be a reason for their exclusion. This cannot be applied to Squash.

The Query I pose is a very serious one.

Sponsored Links
Ive tried watching it on telly before. You cant see the little ball atall.

So you just watch two men jumping around on a court.

Most olmpic events are boring though TBH...

Squash isn't a sport its a punishment for people who quite clearly drowned little kittens in a previous life ;)

Ive tried watching it on telly before. You cant see the little ball atall.

So you just watch two men jumping around on a court.

Most olmpic events are boring though TBH...

This applies to Tennis Badminton and certainly Table Tennis, so why the discrimination against Squash

Sponsored Links
Squash isn't a sport its a punishment for people who quite clearly drowned little kittens in a previous life ;)

I think you are right there MW.
As a past Squash player, I think I did drown little kittens in a former life and continued with the pleasure into this one.

Bring back synchronised swimming

and maybe Beach Volleyball ;)

Ahh Beach volleyball, I know someone who taped the beach volleyball, and when he played it back, it was THE MENS.........I wasn't me honest!
:D :D :D

Bit of a noisy sport you have to agree?

Not really , but if it is considered noisy, it is only noisy to the players.
Certainly not for the spectators, unlike football which is positively deafening for the spectators.
But even the noise is no reason for Olympic exclusion, would you agree?

Not really , but if it is considered noisy, it is only noisy to the players.
Certainly not for the spectators, unlike football which is positively deafening for the spectators.
But even the noise is no reason for Olympic exclusion, would you agree?
ok fair enough, but it is a rather small ball, would be hard for some spectators to see it unless they do away with the ball altogether and play it with wii controllers?

ok fair enough, but it is a rather small ball, would be hard for some spectators to see it unless they do away with the ball altogether and play it with wii controllers?

What about the size of a Table Tennis ball then? That is an Olympic Sport! And I have never yet seen a Table Tennis ball in flight, all you see is the players prancing about and make assumptions as to where the ball is most likely to be. Similar to Real Tennis, the only time you see the ball in flight is when Hawkeye is used.
Hey Tim - I think I am winning this one!!!!!!!

Hey Tim - I think I am winning this one!!!!!!!
You might have been until you started to bring characters out of M.A.S.H. into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might have been until you started to bring characters out of M.A.S.H. into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

You Win

Sponsored Links
Back