Squeaking chipboard floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we're in the process of buying a house and I noticed that a lot of the upstairs floor squeaks noticeably when walked on. The current owner says that the floor is all chipboard and that "it's always done that".

One of the first things we'll do when we move in is completely re-carpet so that's a good opportunity to sort this out.

Is it as simple as ensuring that the boards are securely screwed to the joists, or is it more complex than that?

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Chipboard on timber floors always squeaks. All you can do (apart from replacing with plywood) is to fit hundreds of screws on every joist at say 200 centres. Be warned though it will probably still squeak.

All you can do (apart from replacing with plywood) is to fit hundreds of screws on every joist at say 200 centres.
My brother in law did that one Sunday morning & then went off to the pub. One frantic phone call from my sister & I spent the next 4 hours pulling up floorboards & fixing holes in central heating pipes. The ceiling was propped up with a sheet of ply & a lump of 4 x 4 for 2 months & never looked the same again & the floor boards squeaked even more after that. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
sprinkling talc in the cracks can cause temporary peace and quiet but not gteed
it can also take several days to work through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back