Squeaking under bonnett ...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a Nissan micra, recently serviced but still has this squeaking noise in engine. I was told its probably the drive belt a little loose. Is this the likely cause and if so it need fixing right off or is it ok to leave? It is liek having a next of chicks under there but they go quiet when revving or moving.
Thanks
Stephen

Sponsored Links
You have a mouse trapped under the bonnet, it goes quete when you rev up as its gets scared. :D

Have you actually tried looking & listening with the bonnet up?
If the garage suggested the drive belt is a little loose did they not advise you on it?

Hi Matty, the guy who did the service said he thought it was this 'before' he serviced the car. Then for a few days after it went quiet. But then the noise came back...
I am not sure wether to be overly concerned or not, hence my query here. Thanks.
S

i would guess at the alternator drive belt making the noise too,not life threatening but best to get it replaced as soon as practical

Sponsored Links
i would guess at the alternator drive belt making the noise too,not life threatening but best to get it replaced as soon as practical

Is this likely to be expensive does anyone know? Will it cause damage if not done until it gets wose or louder?
Thanks.

If the drive belt is still in good condition, it needs adjusting rather than replacing.

Replacing it shouldn't be at all expensive. However, if I remember correctly the amount of available space in a Micra engine bay, it could be quite fiddly.

Make sure you get the tension right. If you make it too tight you could wreck the alternator bearing, which would cost you considerably more.

If the drive belt is still in good condition, it needs adjusting rather than replacing.

Replacing it shouldn't be at all expensive. However, if I remember correctly the amount of available space in a Micra engine bay, it could be quite fiddly.

Make sure you get the tension right. If you make it too tight you could wreck the alternator bearing, which would cost you considerably more.

Thanks for this, it makes me wonder why the service guy did not fix it properly !

Back