Squeaky carpet - causes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had carpet installed just under year ago but have started to notice it's squeaking in certain places and was wondering what could be the cause. The original floor is tiled rather than wooden planks and the carpet was installed with underlay. It's rather annoying and I'm starting to notice it in more and more places.

Sponsored Links
Doubtful that its the carpet - what exactly is underneath the carpet. Are the tiles ceramic? Is the floor suspended or a concrete floor?

I'm not sure what kind of tiles they are tbh, having spoken to my friend who does odd diy jobs, he reckons it's a concrete floor with a tiled layer. I've attached a picture in case that helps. It does look ceramic

Edit: looking back at some old pictures, the passageway doesn't have tiles, plain concrete from what I can make out. But I've noticed the noise in both tiled and untiled areas

Attachments

• DSC_0042~01.jpg
    DSC_0042~01.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 112
There's a spot in the bedroom that's particularly noisy and there I have to apply light pressure with the palm of my hand to hear a squeak which increases as I increase the pressure. If it's not the carpet, I suspect it could only be the underlay making the noise, given how lightly I'm pressing to hear the initial squeak

Sponsored Links
They are vinyl tiles. They are well stuck down - i've never heard of vinyl tiles causing squeaking noises.

I have no experience of carpet or carpet underlayment, perhaps someone more qualified will come along on here.

Long established conc slabs have finished any "major" movements after a couple of years.

Last edited:
I know sod all about carpets, but if it was timber my answer would be 'something is moving'.

I can't see how squeaking can occur without something rubbing/flexing.

It could be the underside of the carpet is rubbing agains the vinyle, I have no idea.

But maybe try either an underlay that lets the carpet move without rubbing (like a slip layer), or a more 'grippy' underdlay or stick the carpet down.

Maybe someone who knows about carpets can add to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back