Squealing High Capacity Water Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Not sure if it is my 15mm plumbing... but I installed a BWT high capacity water filter (just after the main stop cock) and it is causing massive squealing on any water use

By Squealing I mean a high pitched squeal each time water is turned off... and if water is flowing slowly.

Luckily I have a PRV just before the filter (set to 3 bar) but dialing the presure down doesn't help... bizarely turning it up helps more!

At first I thought my plumping was to blame because I had to divert the water pipe to make space.... I made a "n" shape with the filter at the top of the "n"... which I thought was causing some kind of air lock? (see attached diagram)

However, in the end I removed the filter and installed a straight pipe across the top of the "n" and the squeal has gone!!!!

So would my plumbing cause this? I am a bit confused how the filter can squeal so bad, its only plastic?

*** By the way I have checked the filter is installed the right way around, water is defo flowing in the direction marked on the filter. ****

Any ideas WTF?
Squeal.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. Can you be more specific about which filter you have fitted?
2. If its Screwfix 16747 its not designed to be fitted in-line with your water supply. Its designed to operate a single tap. Not sure why Screw fix say it offers "whole house protection" then go on to say "can be installed on supply to single drinking tap."

If it didn't squeal before it was fitted, it squeals when it is fitted and then doesn't squeal when it's removed, guess what's at fault ;)

There may be a seal inside that isn't happy, maybe take it back and replace with a new one and see if it still does it.

If it is the one in screwfix, as suggested, then the MI does state it is for whole house protection so is would be fitted on the mains. The way I read it is it could also be used just to filter a single drinking tap if preferred.

Yup... it is the Screwfix 16747. And contary to the first suggestion, it is meant for whole house (see attached picture). Sadly I need whole house protection as we have had issues over time with crud comming through the mains and clogging up shower/tap filters.

Alas it wasn't a seal issue either, as I took out the cartidge and it made the same sound even with the water completely free flowing (not going through any seal)

HOWEVER I DID RESOLVE THE ISSUE.... for some strange reason the problem was caused by the combo of the PRV 1st (which had been there for years) and the filter 2nd .... I moved the PRV so it was down stream of the filter and the problem went away??? Wierd!

BWT.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not weird really. The filter is obviously restricting the pressure/flow a little and that's making the mechanism in the PRV vibrate as it's trying to equalise the pressure.

You get it with unvented systems when the PRV on the control set is getting old, the spring isn't as tight as it used to be and the valve vibrates and then resonates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back