Squeeze off Tool ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a faulty stopcock in my flat (gate valve that doesnt stop the water) and I wanted to replace it without shutting off the water in the street as this would affect other flats.

The water supply feed is 15mm plastic pipe which comes out of the floor about 6 inches before terminating into the gate valve.

I saw this clamp type tool http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Plumbers+Tools/Squeeze+Off+Tool/d10/sd210/p39855

Would that be suitable to shut off mains pressure, and more importantly, not damage the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Yep they work on certain types of plastic. Would be very wary on old brittle MDPE and barrier pipes.

Yep they work on certain types of plastic. Would be very wary on old brittle MDPE and barrier pipes.

I would not recommend you using this tool on your incoming MDPE main cause if it goes wrong and it probably will you will be in a hole load of water and trouble, send letters to all flat occupants giving them notice of turning off the water and do it properly, you may p*@s people off but trust me it's the best way

Plasson do squeeze-off tools in 2 sizes.
I’ve sold them in the past, but would be very wary about using one, even on the pipe they are designed for – MDPE.

I would definitely NOT use one on ant other other ‘plastic’ pipe.

Sponsored Links
It's clear to see what the general impression is of these tools then. And since I can't be sure what type of plastic the pipe is I'll certainly avoid it and do it the proper way.

Thanks.

i have this exact tool it will work dont do it too near the valve as u will crush the insert and i would recomend cutting in a new valve above if there is space as this will require less pulling about with the clamp on

i know an old boy in his 80's that keeps himself busy doing odd jobs around a mobile park home. in his younger days he worked for gas/water board laying new pipes. they use to use a tool to squeeze off pipe upto 6 inch! he has his own squeeze off tool, similar to the op link, which i've used, successfully on upto 25mm mdpe. very easy to use.

he also told me about how he spent 2 weeks using a mechanical digger arm to slowly bend a gas pipe around a inspection pit. by banging the pipe every day. ha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back