squirt expanding foam into stud wall for repair, bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
took a radiator cover off and discovered the radiator half hanging off the wall, guess that's why the previous occupants had a radiator cover? :rolleyes:

radiator hung with hollow wall fixings, obviously some noggins would be best but would mean more mess to get them in.

just wondering if i could fill the cavity around where the exisiting fixings were pulled out, then drill and plug into that?

radiator is a double panel approx 70x85 so is fairly heavy.

Sponsored Links
Expanding foam will do an even less secure of a job holding a radiator up than the plaster board did; you need timber noggins in there.

The foam will adhere to the board and solidify the stud and make it stronger

As long as the fixings are suitable high-load plasterboard toggles, then it should be OK

Sponsored Links
hmm, quick fix would be to chance it and see if it works, if it fails though, i'll have more mess to clear up when I add some noggins. descions.....

it has only damaged the board at the top fixings, so i'm thinking a quick repair there, add some more fixings in the middle and see what happens, really don't have the time to spend on this though, too many other jobs.....

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back