stain on oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today whilst we were fitting a large stone hearth in a friends house we managed to drop a couple of small blobs of mortar on his new oak floor. Despite cleaning it up almost immediately it has stained the floor. The floor was laid 4 weeks ago and has had 1 coat of hard waxoil and is awaiting another coat when we have finished his fireplace. Anyone out there know how to remove these stains before the floor is given its final coat?

Sponsored Links
Ouch!
Two things wrong here:
second coat of hardwaxoil should have been applied 6 - 8 hours after first layer;
mortar (any product containing cement) spilled on an Oak floor can react with the 'tanner' (not sure it word is correct, but is like resin in pine boards) in the wood, leaving dark, black or grey spots. specially when the wood isn't protected sufficiently.
This damage can go very deep into the wood. Try rubbing it with steelwool 000 to see if that helps. If not, you'll have to use sanding paper (grit 80 first) (my guess is that should happen anyway, since they waited much to long to apply the second coat).
After rubbing/sanding apply hardwaxoil again, buff it in, let it dry for 6 - 8 hours and apply a second layer the same way.
Hope this helps and good luck

Cheers WoodyouLike. As you say, we have a few dark stains where the mortar was dropped. I will finish the work i have to do and give it a go as you suggest.
The friend who lives in the house is treating the floor himself so i will show him this post. He,s on his hols at the moment so he will have a bit of sanding to do when he gets back to prepare the floor for the hardwax oil treatment again.
Thanks again

I had this happen to me only last week. But this was a small drop of plaster that landed on oak kitchen worktop. As soon as I wiped it of the stain was there. I was very worried because I was unsure how deep into the wood it would go and also if it could be removed. Luckily it came out with some gentle sanding.

Another lesson learned though :oops:

Its typical though isn't it, all the worktops were well protected apart from that very small area.............

Sponsored Links
its areal problem with oak, recently just laid a raised deck area in green oak been walking around the muddy site and got quite a bit on the decking went to pressure wash it off the otherday and the whole things stained that black colour, found out its from the red clay the clay is red from iron oxide in the soil hence the staining i am fully aware of iron and oak staining but never thought it would happen from the soil, am going to have to go back and turn over all the boards and keep it clean this time don't know how the customer is going to manage as the site like a quaggmire.

Thanks woodulike, was going to have an oak floor :oops: Tanner is an old coin.sixpence ;) Tannin is what you meant, isn`t it :)

Hi Nige

Tanned acid is the word, hubby told me (Is that the same as tannin?)

bikerm4 said:
Cheers WoodyouLike. As you say, we have a few dark stains where the mortar was dropped. I will finish the work i have to do and give it a go as you suggest.
The friend who lives in the house is treating the floor himself so i will show him this post. He,s on his hols at the moment so he will have a bit of sanding to do when he gets back to prepare the floor for the hardwax oil treatment again.
Thanks again

Hey up bikerm4, managed to remove all stains from the floor ok with a light sand as suggested :D
The floor has been fully prepared again and the 1st new layer of hardwaxoil inplace :mrgreen: 2nd coat to be applied later today :cool:

thanks for the advice (Woodyoulike) Twiglet :D

I think it's tannic acid (also kown as tannin). Extracted from oak and used to tan hides, long ago. Hence the name. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back