Staining exterior gates (problem)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I’m staining my exterior gates using silkens cetol filter 7 plus light oak. They didn’t appear to be in that bad of condition, I prepared the gates by scraping and sanding using p120 sandpaper. After preping they looked good, ready to re stain. After I put one coat on the gates I noticed a lot of black staining!(looks like dirt ground into the grain) Is this normal? Will it cure itself with more coats/once the paint drys? Or do I have to strip the gates back using a stain stripper? Any help/advice would be amazing!

Sponsored Links
Is the black staining only where the wood was weathered, or all over?

I think from memory the product you are using shpould consist of a dull undercoat type product, and a shinier topcoat product.

Correct me if I'm wrong there, not bothering to look it up!!

Thanks sparkwright.

I have decided to paint the gates to save on time (and effort ) after doing a bit of research all I could find was that stripping the stain off the gates and starting from scratch was the best option to get rid of the black staining, then keep ontop of the gates by staining them once a year! I’ve primed them using zinsser cover stain exterior primer then used zinsser all coat satin tinted Dulux w/shield colour olive stone. If I’m honest they actually look better painted than stained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back