staining skirting to match velux windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there was just woundering if someone could advise on a good product to use
have just instaled new pine skirting all round now whould like to do the same finish as the velux windows,are the windows waxed or just clear varnished??
cheers

Sponsored Links
Velux pine windows have a triple coat factory finish. I get a very similar (though not exactly the same) finish in loft conversions with a clear satin polyurethane varnish, lightly rubbed down between coats with silicone carbide (wet and dry) paper.

The final shade will be determined by the cut and grain of your skirtings, so an exact match would be rare.

Dec

hi thanks for the replay could u recomend what varnish u use and is it clear
cheers

Sponsored Links
I use the Dulux Trade like THIS, although I have a 5 litre tin which is a few years old and looks a bit different to the one shown in the link. Hope it hasn't been changed too much with last years VOC regs! :mad:

Remember that all wood will mellow with age so what appears fairly light now will yellow somewhat in a few years time.

Orange pine is the least popular of all finishes. Yuk!

Hi bought some ronseal diamond hard varnish clear matt today anyone used this was told they only sell polyurathen varnish in spray cans now

Never used it myself polyurethane varnishes are still available either solvent or water based, I have a feeling that yours is the latter. Some water based varnishes dont really perform that well yet as said I can't comment on this particular one.

Dec

As a matter of fact some of them are far harder wearing than oil/solvent borne systems.

Dec

Don't agree with that for a minute.

Well joe you are entitled to your opinion yet the product that the op has choosen is a polyurethane varnish it's just water/ acrylic resin based.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back