Stains bleeding through Zinnser 123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm in the process of up-cycling a piece of furniture which appears to be made from particle board with some kind of veneer coating. I sanded the whole piece, vacuumed and then wiped down with a damp cloth.

Then it came to painting. I opted to go with Leyland acrylic primer/undercoat and the Leyland Acrylic Eggshell top coat. After 2 coats of the primer/undercoat I had some horrendous bleed through coming from the sanded veneer and so as I've had some success with Zinsser 123 covering stains previously, I applied a coat of this on top. This has made no difference whatsoever. I even tried a second coat on a test patch to see if that would improve things but sadly its just not doing its job.

I was hoping that someone might be able to provide some advise on a product which is known to work where Zinsser 123 fails and that would still allow me to go with the water based Eggshell top coat.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Crewe

Sponsored Links
I'd go with a shellac based paint such as Blockaid or Zinsser BIN.

If you want to save some money and are happy to wait a few days before repainting with the waterbased eggshell, you can use any old oil based undercoat. If you recoat too soon you risk getting fisheyes in the eggshell (pools where the paint pulls away from the undercoat.

If you use the (more expensive) shellac paints you will be able to eggshell them on the same day. It is however more difficult to get a decent finish when working with shellac paints because they dry so fast.

I'd go with a shellac based paint such as Blockaid or Zinsser BIN.

If you want to save some money and are happy to wait a few days before repainting with the waterbased eggshell, you can use any old oil based undercoat.

Many thanks for your reply.

I have a bit of Ronseal One Coat All Surface Primer and Undercoat knocking around which I believe is oil based. Do you think its worth giving that a go?

Sponsored Links
Ahh OK. From memory I thought that one was oil based. OK since I'd have to go ahead a buy something I might as well go with the Zinsser BIN. Wish I had bought that one yesterday instead of 123!

As I said earlier, BIN is difficult to apply. If you do buy BIN, do not use a foam roller to apply it, it will swell up and become floppy. A short mohair type roller will be fine.

Brushes and rollers can be cleaned with household ammonia (£2). Ammonia is alkaline based. It stinks (so leave it outside) but the shellac will fall off the brush/roller and the next day you will bed left with cloudy water that is safe to pour away.

I used to use throw away brushes when working with BIN. The quality of finish was awful. I am now happy to use £15+ brushes because I know that the ammonia will leave the brush looking as good as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back