Stains/Marks On Wall/Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I finished decorating a room just over 2 weeks ago, all white, before that it had been grey for some time (3 years ish). However I've just noticed some strange stains/marks on one of the wall and a small bit on the ceiling.

I've also included a photo of our roof and the area where this is on the wall inside.

Does anyone have any ideas what these are please?

We've never had any issues like this before and have only appeared since redecorating. It does get rather cold on this wall and we used to get quite a bit of condensation on the window, however we've taken action to circulate air better, using a moisture trap too and this has reduced an awful lot, hardly any condensation at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9824.jpg
    IMG_9824.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9825.jpg
    IMG_9825.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9826.jpg
    IMG_9826.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Inked59629ad733cf270008979c23d087dc383d80e9f7_LI.jpg
    Inked59629ad733cf270008979c23d087dc383d80e9f7_LI.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Looks suspiciously like damp to me. You could try overcoating the stains with a stain blocking paint, (I think they are usually silver coloured), and then repainting after it has dried out. With you only decorating recently there should be no mis-match to the original paint when you have finished.

Looks suspiciously like damp to me. You could try overcoating the stains with a stain blocking paint, (I think they are usually silver coloured), and then repainting after it has dried out. With you only decorating recently there should be no mis-match to the original paint when you have finished.

Thanks for the advice, really do appreciate it. Should I be concerned about the damp? Is there anything I can do to prevent this at all? Will give that stain blocker a go too.

If you can get into the loft you need to look for damp patches on the timbers. I also turn off any lighting and look at the roof for any daylight coming in. If you see daylight there is the source of the damp so it can then be rectified.
See if there are any water pipes running through the loft or water storage tanks. There may be a leaking one but the leak may be at another place on the pipe or out of site on a tank. Water has a nasty tendency to start at one place but show up at a completely different place.

Sponsored Links
If you can get into the loft you need to look for damp patches on the timbers. I also turn off any lighting and look at the roof for any daylight coming in. If you see daylight there is the source of the damp so it can then be rectified.
See if there are any water pipes running through the loft or water storage tanks. There may be a leaking one but the leak may be at another place on the pipe or out of site on a tank. Water has a nasty tendency to start at one place but show up at a completely different place.

Thanks conny, starting to get dark now, so I'll pop up tomorrow with everything switched off to try and see if I can see any daylight. The only annoying thing is because of how the roof slopes we can really get access there, although I'll strap a camera to a pole haha. Doubt there is pipes there as no radiators anywhere near etc and we have no tank. Time will tell, thanks again.

ThePlumb, good evening.

Can i suggest that you [if possible] have a look at the junction externally between the dormer and the roof, this area can suffer a build up of dirt and debris that at times can block the valley gutter and cause water ingress, also watch out for Moss in this area.

I can sometimes get images of this area by holding a camera out of the window and taking a load of images, one may ??? hold answers??

Ken.

ThePlumb, good evening.

Can i suggest that you [if possible] have a look at the junction externally between the dormer and the roof, this area can suffer a build up of dirt and debris that at times can block the valley gutter and cause water ingress, also watch out for Moss in this area.

I can sometimes get images of this area by holding a camera out of the window and taking a load of images, one may ??? hold answers??

Ken.

Thanks very much Ken, very possible indeed as we've never had anything like this before, we have a roofer coming out tomorrow to take a look to see if there is anything. Thanks again.

Back