Stair Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can suggest solutions to a problem on our stairs where cracks continue to reappear. It's a townhouse built in the 70s and painted by professionals about 18 months ago from top to bottom (they did a brilliant job), but I can't seem to solve these cracks!

Having followed some advice on this and other forums, I sanded back the affected areas, widened the gaps if necessary, applied Polycell Polyfilla and then two coats of paint (the usual sanding back of filler and inbetween coats etc). Initially it looked very good, but after a couple of weeks the cracks are back (see below). The paint I am using is Dulux Light and Space which has been great everywhere else in the house.

Our painters at the time said that this was always going to happen due to natural flex in a high traffic area, but I'm hoping there is a way to solve it for good as it really does detract from an otherwise great finish.

Cheers for any and all advice.

Stairs 008.JPG
Stairs 009.JPG

Sponsored Links
If its not the house moving then run some decorators caulk in the crack and smooth it in with a wet paint brush. Then repaint.

Better still to cut the damage out from the stair string up to the crack, then fill with decorators caulk, but as it'll shrink, leave it a week or so, refill it, and then paint it. The caulk will flexible enough to handle the movement for a fair time, otherwise, look for a paintable sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back