stair handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to fit a handrail to our stairs which has no wall either side for most of the run.

What is available on the market for these purposes?

Sponsored Links
Add some more info, a photo or two, timber handrail? balusters timber? budget? etc and you'll get more response! :idea:

picture please
have you thought off a banister and spindles with or without newel posts??

Sponsored Links
picture please
have you thought off a banister and spindles with or without newel posts??

I dont have any pictures as the house i rent out to someone.

There were 2 rooms downstairs with the stairs going up between them (entrance from the back room). the Last 3 steps, it turns 90degrees. Years ago both walls were taken out to create a lounge with the stairs exposed. I need some sort of handrail to be compliant with regulations. The last 5 or 6 steps has a wall on the side.

I think it will be hard to put up spindles as i would then need a base rail etc. I was thinking about fitting a post to the corner of where the stairs start (on the inside turn), and fix a length of 4x1 timber to the post and several fixings to the wall, and then attach either a pigs ear or mopstick handrail

you must not have a gap greater than 99m[95 to be safe] to comply with regs off course many a house doesn't comply but thats a different matter

how long will the span be on the 4x1" between fixings

you must not have a gap greater than 99m[95 to be safe] to comply with regs off course many a house doesn't comply but thats a different matter

how long will the span be on the 4x1" between fixings

Is that 95mm between any wood so you cant fall out?

I guess I will need to do both sides as currently they are open.

The span of the 4x1 will be around 3m in total, and max 1.5m between the fixing of the post and the start of the upstairs wall, just above the RSJ.

a sphere 100mm must not pass through any gaps on the stairs or banisters

3m is quite a big span although iff you use pigs ear it will strengthen a bit do you plan on fitting any verticals mid span??

a sphere 100mm must not pass through any gaps on the stairs or banisters

3m is quite a big span although iff you use pigs ear it will strengthen a bit do you plan on fitting any verticals mid span??

upto what height can the sphere not pass through? 900mm??

Im going to try and add a vertical support midway to add strength.

I cant really put spindles due to the design, what else can be used to close the gap to 95mm?

any part off the stairs are included risers and spindle spacings to full height

wrought iron can look good or ranch style 5"[119mm]spars but these can make a dangerous climbing frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back