Stair Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been considering what to do with our stairs for some time (since last time I decorated and SWMBO would not let me replace handrails.

Children left home and we split one large bedroom back into 2 so we needed a new landing carpet. As a result we decided to take the plunge and go for

http://www.richardburbidge.com/stair-balustrade/contemporary/fusion/

some questions were asked here . . .

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=270871

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274007

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274209

You can see from the original that the joiner who fitted them was in a rush, spindles not correctly spaced. What you don't see from the photos is the 1/8" step at the top which would get sorted as the job was done and the poor fixing of the half newels onto the wall at the top.

More to follow

Sponsored Links
Conclusion was to change the newel bases but, as the two top newels support the stairs this meant stairs out . . . .

My feelings were that this was beyond me so joiner booked to do the job, days leave booked, handrail stripped out and ready to go - joiner does not turn up. He is still to answer a phone call.

Decided that I would do it myself as other joiners were booked for weeks.

Did as much as I could to prepare the two top newels and on Monday the Curtail was cut off to make the stairs easier to handle in a limited space and stairs came down.

Wife didn't like the temporary stairs . . .

Existing Newels were removed in pieces with a saw and chisel, they split away from the tenon fairly easily.

Top newel bases were finished and fitted, dowels into blind holes so I only have two dowel ends to hide betwen the two newels, Nothing shows on the outside face.
To achieve this the riser for the top step (landing) had to be removed and refitted.

All this accompanied by the recurring question "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

The short joist that the stairs sit on was removed, the wall cleaned up and the joist trimmed so it now sits at eh right level and the stairs were lifted back in.

Middle newel shown fitted loose

Bottom newel base beflore fitting and fitted loose.

More to follow in a few days . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back