Stair trimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finally (finally...finally...) about to order the steels for my loft conversion.
Whilst getting quotes, one of the companies asked what height I wanted the trimmer to sit in comparison to the main steels. So they can pre-drill the holes?????? ...No idea.

It doesnt state this anywhere on the calcs or drawings. So is there a "norm"?

Headroom in the loft wont be an issue (plenty), so, does it really matter?

Go easy on me.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, just an add-on....

The specified dimensions for the steel trimmer are 152uc23.
Any idea what the equivelant would be in timber?
Span is approximately 5.5 meters

Thanks

Huh?!
Your posts make little sense.. maybe post your plans or something..
Either that or direct this question at your conversion designer who you paid to provide all construction information..

View media item 31506
Sorry. What exactly doesn't make sense? Let me know and I'll try to clarify.

In a nutshell (hopefully...!)
The main steels (wall to wall) are 8 x 8.
The steel trimmer is 6 x 6.
So when I was asked about what height the trimmer should sit, They meant, should the top of the steel trimmer be level with the top of the main steels? Or 2" lower? Meaning the bottom edges are all level.

As far as asking the architect.... I have. He's a distant relation to the Scarlet pimpernel.
Still awaiting a reply as he spends half his time in Spain (a fact I only found out after he had done the job)

Sponsored Links
I would not expect the architect to provide the exact setting out for the trimmer, the setting out depends on the exact size of the stair you fit, the width of the stringers, the size of the timbers in the web of the steel you use to support the stair etc. Its down to the builder (that'd be you :p). You (or a builder) could buy the stair from anywhere and even if your drawings say a 700mm wide stair (or whatever) is to be fitted each stair from different manufacturers will vary in width a little so how can the architect predict this?. Regards to the height, you need to understand how your stairs are going to be supported against the trimmer. Fit your steel so that the top is say 25mm beneath the underside of the proposed floor boards, this will give you some tolerance to play with then you can add a bit of timber packing to suit under the stringers.

Just to help clarify missing bits. i think a couple of 50x150 C16 joists would be fine infilling beside the 152UC..

As said above your architect should set all this out on their drawing.. as the one shown is just an engineering sketch..

Just to help i think a coupld of 50x150 C16 joists would be fine as a trimmer to that little stairs.. as said above your architect should set all this out on their drawing.. as the one shown is just an engineering sketch
You would not expect the architect to set the trimmer out exactly for reasons I've mentioned. The architect has no control over who manufacturers the stair comes and what size it actually is. Its perfectly reasonable to expect the builder to set the trimmer out exactly. Its the nature of lofties that minor changes have to be made on site to suit along the way. It would be an unusual job that necessitated site supervision. How many stairs do architects fit and how many stairs do builders fit?

Its really not too daunting for the OP though, when he orders his stair they should send a shop drawing to approve, if the information is not already written on the drawing the supplier will be able to confirm the dimensions the OP needs.

Depends how you look at it,. can either fit steels and then order the stairs to be made to suite the opening or vice versa..

But i note your point its not 100% down to the architect to coordinate these things..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back