Stair where banister/balustrade meets ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My stairs currently have old style horizontal panels for the banister, at the top is just a wall.

I plan to install handrail spindles, remove part of the wall at the top and install a handrail there.

My handrail can't go right to the top as it would partially merge with the ceiling. I've done a fair bit of searching on the net and it seems the two pictures I've found are the way to get round this.

Any joiners have any comments, it seems a bit unorthodox not having a handrail right to the top!

diminishingspindles111.jpg

ap70image6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Muzz - not a bit unorthodox at all; it's the common way to do it if you don't have a wide staircase.

cool, good to know!

I just don't think i've ever been on a staircse with it like that before.

I also have a staircase that looks like this and am planning to do something similar.

My question relates to the 2nd pic - this is like my set up except I have a wall on the right hand side upstairs instead of another handrail.

The white horizontal board shown which runs along the roof to the top of the stairs - what is this for and can it be removed?

Sponsored Links
I also have a wall, which i'm removing and replacing with a handrail.

My current stairs do not have that board you are refering to, I wasn't planning on fitting that either, just leaving it plastered, unless i really make a mess taking the wall down, in which case either I'll re-plaster or fit a board like that.

My stairs in my old house had it, I think it's just decorative, as behind it will be a joist holding the floor up.

I showed this picture to a joiner, who said due to building regulations I also need a handrail on the opposite wall.

Does anyone know if this is true?

the white horizontal board is a trimming piece used to cover the joist ends or to face the rough saw surface of a joist (depending on the orientation of these) and are generally nailed on. They also afford a degree of protection to the edge of the ceiling plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back