Staircase - Load Bearing Joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. Relatively quick one for those knowledgeable in how staircases are/were built, I have no idea.

Few pics below to show a 3x3 post "attached" to the staircase, wonder whether this would be removable or not? Or alternatively who I could go to for formal advice on it, what would need doing if it is some sort of load bearing post? I don't see them in most similar houses in the street.

Thanks in advance
IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3204.JPG IMG_3205.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would say its a storey newel that has been modified, but we need pictures higher up the newel to have a better idea

Thanks for your reply. I've attached a few more photos of the top end.

IMG_3214.JPG IMG_3215.JPG IMG_3216.JPG

Ok, yes it is storey newel, imnot sure if the original part of the post has been removed and replaced with 3x3 or it was built that way, but in any case that post cannot be removed permanently without causing structural damage to your staircase and both half landings.

Sponsored Links
Cool ok thanks for the info. The more I've been thinking about it the more I couldn't understand what ELSE would be holding the 2 landings up.

Thanks again, appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back