Stairway lighting problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m looking for advice for wiring the stair way lighting.

There are two lights one at the top and one at the bottom. Downstairs has a two gang switch. Upstairs has a one gang switch.

I’ve forgotten to take the photo of downstairs when replacing switch. Ive wired it for one switch to work and the downstairs light is working. The upstairs doesn’t have any Live according to the multimeter.

I’ve attached photos of it.

the photos show the two switches and the ceiling wiring for up stairs.

Sponsored Links
down stairs put

red into the empty COM
yellow into L1
blue into L2

At the light, you need to determine (with the power off) which cable runs to the switch

Thanks for responding so quickly. I’ve done that. Tested each cable in the ceiling and none of them are coming up live on the multimeter.

I’ve also tested the upstairs switch and no cable is coming out as live.

While all 3 cables are disconnected on the ceiling the switch wires will not Be live.

As stated you need to identify the wires on the ceiling

Sponsored Links
And do you mean to the switch downstairs or upstairs. Apologies for being a pain

once identified where do I put the ceiling cables?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 206
there aren't any pictures in the wiki ? ???

https://images.app.goo.gl/gBjiR82mXeYse79e7

See this diagram. But with one less cable

1 cable goes down to the landing switch. This usually has a red sleeve or tape on the black wire. YOu need to work out this cable and mark.

The other cable is power in.
Another cable is power to another rooms light. Any not working?

Once you have that, you can go forward.
Connecting all the reds together in a spare block.
Connecting the black wire with red tape to the light fitting L
etc

Don't guess, as you will likely do damage
gBjiR82mXeYse79e7

One of the ceiling cables should show 230V between red and black. Either the power is off, there is a break elsewhere in the circuit or the fuse or breaker is open circuit.

Hi Andy,

you helped me previously with the above thread. I’ve now bought a new switch and the wiring now doesn’t work.

I’ve attached the old wiring set up which worked and the new switch set up. I’ve tried doing like for like but it doesn’t work.

Thanks again

Francis
image.jpg

E8964C5C-DDB5-4DA0-8BDD-EB7712706FC2.jpeg

You either, have not connected the conductors correctly ,or the switch itself is faulty.
The earth conductors should be connected to the metal switchplates earth terminal ,by the way !!

Have you got the red wires swapped. ?

The red that comes out the cable with the blue and yellow needs to stick with that switch.

Make sure the screws are in the metal part of the cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back