Stand-by Windows

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have now cobbled together my stand-by PC, it seems to be working OK :D so far, and will be adequate next time my main PC dies :cry:

I installed Win ME which is not very good, but was the OS I had bought when I first built it. Surprisingly "Windows Update" is not provided for ME.

On my main machine I use XP OEM, which I understand is a single-use licence.

Do we know what will happen if I install XP on my standby machine with the same product key? Will it register and update, or will it stop working?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I have now cobbled together my stand-by PC, it seems to be working OK :D so far, and will be adequate next time my main PC dies :cry:

I installed Win ME which is not very good, but was the OS I had bought when I first built it. Surprisingly "Windows Update" is not provided for ME.

On my main machine I use XP OEM, which I understand is a single-use licence.

Do we know what will happen if I install XP on my standby machine with the same product key? Will it register and update, or will it stop working?

ME updates possibly?

It's possible (although against the license agreement) to install XP OEM on more than one machine. I'm not sure if the Genuine Advantage Tool will cause a problem. Probably not.

You may find that XP won't even install...I've seen some OEM versions of XP that have to be installed on the make and model of machine they were purchased for.

As stated above you will be breaking the law by doing this......tut tut. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back