Standard Combi or Condensing Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help me with a question please....?

I currently have a floorstnding Kingfisher with vertical flue and am on the verge of having a combi fitted, in line with a local council directive.

Is it true that I now have to have a high efficiency condensing combi ? or is a standard combi adequate for legal purposes....?

The reason I ask is that I have been told that it will be difficult to fit the high efficiency condensing combi as there is no drain closeby where the boiler is to be sited. I've also noticed that standard 'combi' boilers are a few hundred cheaper..!?!?!?!

Cheers

UncleFesta

Sponsored Links
www.odpm.gov.uk

check it out as you will most probably have to have a condensing boiler, Mr Blair has decided that you have no choice, there are some exceptions but they are very very ltd,

the above website will tell you do a search for PART L1 of the new building regs

Now, I am slightly confused, I could see no mention of high efficiency combi or standard combi, please help as I would really like to know that I have made an informed choice. It's a minefield out there !

UncleFesta

Sponsored Links
it is a minefield, you should trying mooching around in it everyday like we have to :)

try these

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1164177

aprroved Part L document

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1131500

review of domestic dwellings Part L

I have a copy of the exemption requirements but dont seem to be able to find them on Fat Pie Munchers Website now :( seems even more unlikely that you can leagally fit a non condensing boiler

maybe the others will know where Chubby Prescott has hidden it :)

I would choose an A efficiency boiler. B would be ok but they tend to use old technology.
I suggest a Vaillant or a somwhat cheaper Glow worm (also now part of Vaillant)
A small soakaway around 300mm deep is ok for the disposal of the condensation but other than that then a small pump unit is available to pump the condensation.

Thats all well and good but far too much information for me....!

so lets start again, If anyone can give me some straight one line answers, I'd appreciate it.

I currently have a floorstanding Kingfisher with vertical flue and am on the verge of having a combi fitted, in line with a local council directive.

1.) Is it true that I now have to have a high efficiency condensing combi ? or
2.) is a standard combi adequate for legal purposes....?

The reason I ask is that I have been told that it will be difficult to fit the high efficiency condensing combi as there is no drain closeby where the boiler is to be sited. I've also noticed that standard 'combi' boilers are a few hundred cheaper..!?!?!?!

3.) Does having a drain closeby to a condensing boiler make any difference to the installation..?

Cheers

UncleFesta

Sorry Guys, I posted my last effort before reading the last 2 replies.
Thank You for the answers and the link is exactly what I needed, Thanks again, if anyone has anything else to add, once again I'd be most appreciative.

UncleFesta

Everyone else has blandly accepted that you have been given a Local Council Directive.

I cannot contemplate any legal basis on which they can FORCE you to change your boiler.

Can you give more information on this please?

Having a condensing boiler will save you fuel costs and so is financially advisable. The CORGI registered installer should be able to advise you on all aspects.

Tony

Tony is right!!!

whats this council directive all about (sorry I didnt see that bit)? and how can they force you to change you boiler, and if you do how can they force u to have a combi??

not more rules, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr Blair has to go :evil:

corgiman said:
Tony is right!!!

whats this council directive all about (sorry I didnt see that bit)? and how can they force you to change you boiler, and if you do how can they force u to have a combi??

not more rules, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr Blair has to go :evil:

Mr Blair likes being "president" I mean primeminister and he hasn't got enough hours in a day. He doesn't solve problems he makes problems "I mean "rules"

In reply to the guy that enquired about the council directive, this is in relation to renting back a property to the council.

Their procedure is to check that the whole house suits their criteria, if so, then they will take on the property without further ado, if not they compile a list of required alterations which need to be adhered to before they will consider entering into a legally binding agreement.

They looked at the floorstanding Kingfisher and immediately condemned it due to age alone, in fact it has been very efficient for my needs and I had not considered that it might be an issue.

I have now got to change the boiler before they will take on the property and therefore I would like, as I stated previously to make some informed choices, hence the reason I thought it a good idea to join this forum.

Cheers

UncleFesta

:p I'm not sure they asked you to explain yourself in such detail!

Anyway, that sounds terrible. Wouldn't you make more money renting to a private tenant anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back