Staple gun to re-fit stairs carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to remove carpet from stairs to re-decorate and fit it back after all done.
Is it ok to use manual staple gun, something like this or this ?

Stairs are softwood

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes grippers fitted indeed.
Carpet was fitted about 1.5 years back.

Just rip it up and fit it back when finished - I've had my stairs carpet up twice and gone back down no problem. I just use a bolster to fit it back onto the gripper. Be careful when walking up and down them in bare feet though!

Sponsored Links
Grip rods have a slight angle to the nails, stretch the carpet towards the rod as best you can before pushing it down onto it, then tuck he edge into the gap between the rods using a flat bladed something.. chisel or paint stripper etc

ok, thanks guys, so you mean that I don;t need a staple gun at all?

Acideraser,
As others have said - a Staple gun is not suitable at all to put the carpet back down. You should use the existing Carpet Grippers.
BUT I find that I can never get the carpet back down as well as it was before I pulled it up (so I then get a carpet fitter in).

So if simply painting (rather than say re-plastering) I tend to leave carpet down and cover it with Carpet protectors such as:
http://www.screwfix.com/c/decoratin...managedredirect-_-decorating-_-floorprotector
or
a long/narrow poly-backed dust sheet:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-poly-backed-dust-sheet-24-x-3/43957
sfk

Thank you SKF, I used similar carpet protector from Toolstation - it's very good indeed, but new paint has to go under the carpet line otherwise it will look ugly.
Thanks for the input everyone

Acideraser,
Understood.
When you take carpet up, number the sections so you know which order they go back in and which direction pile is going (probably not needed, but might if any of the sections are slightly different sizes to match any irregularity of your stairs).
Possibly helpful, although from USA, this YouTube video is the way I refitted carpet on Stairs with CarpetGrippers.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back