Bottom step of stairs carpet fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Had some new carpet installed on my stairs last week and am not comfortable with the fitting. The bottom step is a bull nose but appears to have been fitted over the top of it and stapled to fit in the corner which looks a little shoddy. Also, it's quite loose. I have the fitter coming back today but want to know if i have grounds for a complaint or is it standard? The previous carpet wasn't fitted this way. Attached pictures so any opinion would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• stair1.JPG
    stair1.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 4,957
  • stair2.JPG
    stair2.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,606
Sponsored Links
Traditionally the scar would have been sewn, but nowadays it's usually nailed as per the video, but as you have seen it doesn't always give a great finish, with a short pile carpet like yours. The alternative is to turn the carpet under the nosing and nail and then glue a strip to the riser

Sponsored Links
I ask our fitters to cap and band bullnose steps when fitting any of our striped products simply because it's neater than traditional handsewing methods. It does mean that you lose the 'waterfall drop' effect on the bull nose but it is the better option in my opinion.

I wouldnt be happy if my fitters were pinning bullnoses to look like yours, handsew or cap and band, depending on the product.

The 'looseness' looks about normal to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back