Starting Own Plumbing/Gas Busness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

As You Might Guess I work for BG, and have done for about 2 years now.

Im not particularly happy working there, dont get me wrong the moneys good and reliable which I like. But its getting more stresfull than I want in a job. Espescially since its almost all unneccesary.

I love plumbing and gas work, nothing better at work than being able to leave a happy customer with everything fixed and working when they thought they were gonna need a new boiler.

But I cant be bothered with the phone calls, moaning about performance, having to keep strict time sheet records all the time to prove myself. Not being allowed to take time to fix things properly. A phone call every night asking if ive sold anything, having to phone a manager everytime somethings going to cost over 100 quid or when a jobs not been fixed totaly after your 2nd visit.

Id like to keep in this line of buisness, just not with BG. Im relitivley new in the trade, (3yrs) and feel im pretty good at it so far compared to alot, even if im not the fastest at the jobs, i get them right, and safe.

Whats the best way to go on from here in your opinions? I dont want to just quit and start up my own as ive still bills to pay and no savings so need some regular income ie dont want to take the risk starting straight away on my own and not getting anywork/money.

cheers
SGM

Sponsored Links
so what do you want to do?

you say you dont like working for bg (from what you have said i can understand that) but you also said you want a regular income (i can understnad that too)

that only leaves you 2 choices

stay where you are and lump it

go and work for some one else

Hello,

Could you not continue working for BG, but increase the amount of private work that you do until you feel like you can make the switch ?

Cheers
Ed.

Which part of Aberdeen? it's a big place. Do you want to work in the main Aberdeen area or would outside Aberdeen be preferable? Do you wan't to service oil boilers too? They're not difficult, and the more remote areas won't have gas.

The cost of a spares stock will be significant (um..., no..., will be LARGE) and with the distances you have up there, you can't afford a return visit. It will take you a couple of years to build a customer base.

Suggest you don't look for business east of Aberdeen. ;)

Sponsored Links
They're are other companies you could work for and I happen to know one which may suit you. E-mail in my profile and I'll send you the details.

If you want success you need more experience before you even contemplate starting up your own business. Speedy repairs are essential to make any money in this game. call backs are no fun. you will also need to earn £1000 per week profit just to be at the same level of earnings bg pay you. Its a rat race out there.

ItsOverFlo said:
also need to earn £1000 per week profit just to be at the same level of earnings bg pay you.

Easily acheiveable, especially now the cold season is fast coming up on us!

6 jobs a day, at least £60 minimum attendance (local job within 3-5 miles) for first hour, all parts at full retail (usually 50% profit), should see you make about £400 plus per day, take 25% for costs = roughly £300/day profit ;)

I tend to do a heating installation a week, or 1-2 boiler changes, then have to do approx 2 breakdown calls each day after work and saturday morning.

You will need a good client base or good ad, but stresses will still be there but different ones :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
ItsOverFlo said:
also need to earn £1000 per week profit just to be at the same level of earnings bg pay you.

Easily acheiveable, especially now the cold season is fast coming up on us!

6 jobs a day, at least £60 minimum attendance (local job within 3-5 miles) for first hour, all parts at full retail (usually 50% profit), should see you make about £400 plus per day, take 25% for costs = roughly £300/day profit ;)

I tend to do a heating installation a week, or 1-2 boiler changes, then have to do approx 2 breakdown calls each day after work and saturday morning.

You will need a good client base or good ad, but stresses will still be there but different ones :rolleyes:

Dave,do you work alone or do you have help?

I've been in your position; just a few years ago in fact when the laptop/P2 thing was being implemented...

I went to work for a company that had a relaxed approach to private work - Took out my own CORGI as well as other bits and started touting; doing odd bits here and there and am now in a position where I am looking to go full-time next March once I've cained the overtime at the company I work for and got some more share bonus' :p

There are a lot of companies out there that still support "private" work when you additionally hold your own CORGI and this is, in my opinion the best route as it gives you a chance to "tool-up" and start getting the financial backing you'll need - Trust me; it's a lot!

find another job it is impossible to start a new business everybody is at it. Wrong game. Try telephone sales.

Most manufacturers are lookin for engineers contact them , good money and benefits, far less appliances to work on van full of appropriate parts more time allowed on job and mostly no sales targets to be met also it will give you more time to understand the basic workings of boilers and systems till you feel the need to jump.

chr15 said:
Dave,do you work alone or do you have help?

I have always worked alone, but as I am now getting slightly older and a lot less fit, I am looking to find someone to take on, hence another post I made recently.

It has always been like this for me and my primary reason is to keep my customer base happy and loyal, with the monetary gain a nice extra ;)

I physically feel I can no longer carry on with this workload alone and at present am dreading the cold season starting :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back