Starting your own business and how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm 23 and staying in glasgow, ive completed my apprenticeship as a roof, slater and tiler. During that time i was dedicated and worked hard, this resulted varoius awards which include the GMG roofing award. Redland award,ron curdie award and i completed my advance certificate in roof, slaitng and tiling. Last year i completed the 1st year of my HNC in construction practice getting 8 merits out of 8 units which was fantastic, hopefully i will pick up the award this year for that class. This year i'm currently doing my second year of that course which is on a thursday and doing my HND in construction management, first year bieng HNC which means i will have 2 HNC'S in construction.

Everyone says to me what is your plan? what do you want to do with your life? My answer is simple Ive had a vision from day 1, to own my own business, all of the above which i mentioned isnt about me saying i'm amazing, because i'm certianly not.

I do not know how to start or go about start myself can any help and give me any information on:

1. Getting customers?
2. Preparing a business plan
3. banks and are they willing to give a loan?
4. Is the correct time to go yourself?
5. DO I HAVE THE CORRECT EXPERIENCE YET

Any help would be fantastic

Kind regards,

David

Sponsored Links
My answer is simple Ive had a vision from day 1, to own my own business, all of the above which i mentioned isnt about me saying i'm amazing, because i'm certianly not.
But believing in yourself and your capabilities (your awards show you're not that bad ;)) is a really good starting place. Do get info, advice and help from Business Link as the others suggest and start with writing your ideal to paper = half your business plan.

Sponsored Links
1. Getting customers?
2. Preparing a business plan
3. banks and are they willing to give a loan?
4. Is the correct time to go yourself?
5. DO I HAVE THE CORRECT EXPERIENCE YET
1. Numerous ways. Recommendation being the holy grail. Nothing wrong with advertising. The cheapest advertising with the greatest exposure is always best. I built my own website, that was free, I just pay for hosting. The local shop charges £45 a year for an advert. I only need one small job to pay for it. YP will get you work but its f£$ing expensive and best avoided if possible.
2. Answer Qs 1,3,4 & 5 and your half way there.
3. Standard policy is they will give you a loan matching the amount you put in yourself. 50/50. Its better to save up and pay for everything yourself up front. That way everything you earn from the first day is yours. In my first year I used the money I'd saved to pay for everything in full. Bought a cheapish van, payed all insurances etc in full before starting. This may not be the best way in the long run(tax reasons) but in the first year it keeps stress levels down.
4. Some people will say no. However I did it and I'm sure others will. It depends on your trade and how much works around. Ask around. One thing is true though, some very successful business are born in a recession. Lots of companies have gone bust in building trades, which means when things pick up again, there could be a shortage of trades.
5. Think about the different tasks your likely to undertake. Can you carry them out proffessionally, in good time, and without any assistance?

if you are thinking about going it alone another good cheapish way is a blanket leaflet drop.

i think this is a good time to start out, work is back on track for most and (unfortunatly) there was a lot of failures during the last 16 months so plenty of spaces out there.

Hate to rain on your parade mate and call me a cynical old f@rt if you like but if I were you I'd be trying to get into a good company with long term prospect for promotion, salary, pension etc etc . Something like college lecturing or one of the really big building firms down south.

Self-employment is ok for a young guy but it's a long slog and unless you intend to employ loads of employees not very well paid for the stress, hours and time you invest in it.

I've been on my own now for about 20 years and it gets more difficult every year trying to keep it all together.

There are some benefits such as doing your own thing and picking and choosing your work but there are an awful lot of negatives such as no sick pay, no holiday pay, no pension, no sickies even if you are sick and the ever constant threat of a tax investigation & etc etc.

Best of luck.

Dave forget about all this doom and gloom, if it's what you really want to do then YOU WILL achieve it eventually.
PLAY THE LONG GAME though;
The previous post was very good though as previously said getting in with a company should be your main objective AT THE MOMENT ,at your age this will give you experience of live jobs and the various problems you'll encounter and more importantly a stable income so you can build on your tools ,get yourself a website, get advertising and slowly get yourself known.
And eventually you'll be driving around your best form of advertising - your sign written van (or pick up if you prefer).
Don't let the people you work for know your business though, trust me, it won't go down well.
I'm just about getting there myself through perserverence and tenacity.

You'll need the basics to start on your own - tools and transport. As others have said it's a long slog I am trying to grow the business . As well as/instead of the banks is there anywhere else you could borrow some money? I'm not sure of all the basics a roofer would need but a van with 12mo MOT, tools, ladders, insurance would set you back a minimum of £2500 i'd have thought, especially if you are a young driver.

:!: I am actually looking for a roofer at the moment for a customer of mine who has a leaky roof in a modern 2-storey property in Glasgow I have sent you a friend request :D

thanks for the advice everyone has offered. I got told i won 1st place - best student in my HNC construciton practice, got awards in novemeber. lol

Hi David
dont know if this helps finance wise, but I have contacted a company called foundation east who finance new business in the south east of england. I was told about them by Business Link so again get onto them matey.. just a thought :rolleyes:

Hiya mate, dont know how ur getting on with your business but im in the same boat and thinkin bout settin up myself (plumber).

Have you tried the PSYBT (google it) they offer u a low interest loan up to £5000 which is not bad and their advice is top notch. they used to give u a grant but think its ran out this year.

How is things going with getting work and stuff as im a bit anxious bout goin it alone?

Cheers,Alan

Sponsored Links
Back