Stat set low but rads too hot to touch...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning ...I have no clue about Central heating or boilers.....but before I call an (expensive) engineer I thought I would just ask on here for some advice/guidance please....thank you.

I have a Boulter Buderus boiler installed in a new build house in 2006. Last night I had the room thermostat set at 16 deg. but all the rads that were on were too hot to touch.....I only have 4 of the 10 rads turned on. Each rad has a TRV (apart from the "master" rad in the hall).

The boiler was showing rad temp at 82, was venting fine and the condensor drain is not frozen or blocked.

Anyone any ideas please?

Thank you so much.
MrsMac03

Sponsored Links
the rad stats are off and on only
set at 16 will kick in at say 14.5 and out at perhaps 17
is the room temperature below 16degrees do you think ??

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I have reduced the boiler "temp to rads" down to 65, the rads are still getting very hot ..too hot to touch...feel sure this isn't right as they weren't like this three days ago (before this current cold snap).

Will keep an eye on the boiler and vent/condenser drain but have a terrible feeling I am going to have to fork out for an engineer :(

Thanks again.
MrsMac03

Sponsored Links
I have a Boulter Buderus boiler installed in a new build house in 2006. Last night I had the room thermostat set at 16 deg. but all the rads that were on were too hot to touch.....
If the hall was less than 16°C the boiler will be on then they would be.
That's how it works.
If they didn't feel hot they wouldn't heat the house.

The boiler was showing rad temp at 82, was venting fine and the condensor drain is not frozen or blocked.
Anyone any ideas please?
Yes. All is well.

45°C may be too hot to touch.
There is only 5°C difference between a bath feeling too cold and too hot.

Errr...thank you...I think...of course I know that's how the heating works...what I'm saying is that even at 22degrees when the hall was very warm, the rads were still way too hot to touch...(normally they are not)...so by turning the stat down I waited to see if the rads turned off and cooled down..(they did) but why are the rads seeming to overheat? And even now with the boiler set at 65 they are still much too hot to touch..... Thanks

It could be a faulty boiler thermostat, which controls the water temperature.

Does the boiler turn on/off if you turn the boiler stat up/down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back