Static shocks off bodywork.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now the summer is coming and the weather is 'dry' I am beginning to get static shocks when I get out of my car. Its a Corsa 1 litre eco.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Sometimes it can be quite a belt.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
befor you exit the car, hold on to side pillar of the door part of the door and then step out of the car keeping hold of the car, when your foot touches the floor you will dishcharge all the static through your foot....

through your hand, before it can build up.

if you forget, you can grasp your bunch of keys in your hand and touch a key to some metal part. although there will be spark from tip of key to car, the bunch of keys in contact with your hand will prevent a spark onto your skin.

or buy leather-soled shoes.

Thanks lads.
Will try your suggestions next time I go out.

Sponsored Links
I used to have probs with static shocks from an old Peugeot a few years ago.
I stripped a single strand of copper wire from an old piece of mains flex (the strand was only about as thick as a hair), tied one end to the metalwork on the underside of the car, and let t'other end flap about in the breeze. At rest, the strand hung straight down.
No more static shocks.

The theory is a long thin point like the end of my bit of wire acts as a 'stress raiser', concentrating the static charge, and allowing it to 'leak' away to earth before it gets a chance to give you a 'belt' as you get out of the car, so it works even if the wire doesn't quite reach the ground.

If you lightly water mist the seats & carpets once a week, I think you will find you have no more problems :)

Sponsored Links
Back