Steam Genarating Shower Cubicle

Sponsored Links
does it matter whether or not i am registered, that is not the question that was asked.

if you have no relevant advice then please do not reply

What do you mean by an RCD module? Do you mean a standard 3-pin plug which incorporates an RCD and is moulded onto thick black cable?

Sponsored Links
I have done 2 or 3 of these (baths / showers)

Q1. What room is it going to be installed in?

Then it's been designed to plug into a standard socket outlet.

But the link you posted to the Springwave website describes them as steam 'showers'. So it sounds like the location into which you install it might become subject to section 601, which would make the 2m flex a bit of a puzzle.

I'm not sure what to think about this - yet.

The shower ones that I have done are definately "showers" in the standard sense, they also have a small steam generating unit so that they can also be used as a sauna! DEFINATELY 601 and notifyable under part P.

it is to fitted inside bathroom, about 4m from door, next to the bath.

was puzzled to how to connect as socket in bathroom would not be feesable, but no access above or below bathroom.

it is a shower, with combined steam generator, for use as a sauna, as previously mentioned.

But there is still a need for competance would you not agree?
Absolutely.
. . . . .
divider2atq5.gif

it is to fitted inside bathroom, about 4m from door, next to the bath.

was puzzled to how to connect as socket in bathroom would not be feesable, but no access above or below bathroom.
Ask the people selling it. [ASIDE]I note that the installation instructions on their website are inadequate. If the ones that come with the unit are the same this is a trading offence.[/ASIDE]

If they say "If in doubt consult a qualified electrician" tell them you have, and he told you that you can't have sockets in bathrooms, so what do they suggest.

Or tell them he told you that you can have sockets now, but not close enough for that 2m lead and in any event it would have to be RCD protected which makes the built in RCD redundant.

Basically you need to remove that cable where it terminates in the shower unit, and install one long enough to reach an FCU, (or an RCD FCU if the socket circuit isn't RCD protected), either in the bathroom if it's big enough, or outside.

I have purcahsed one - comes with
1. Whirlpool pump ( attached to under bath frame)
2. Steam generator 3kw .. the power from which also provides 12v to power radio / led lights

both come with a standard 13amp uk 3pin plug , although the generator does also have an inline rcd type control

Can't see any IP rating

There does seem to be varying advice from the various suppliers - most say get qualified person, or just plug in !

Given steam hose length, the generator would also have to fit under the bath.

As under bath is outside the "zones" , am correct in that if I feed these outside the bathroom ( I'm ripping up floors anyway) that this should be acceptable... ( I could wait until ip56 allowed in b/r .. but not ideal location anyway ), can I plug into a ring socket ( would use rcd socket or at least additional rcd plug) or should I either
use a fcu and/or connection back to own rcd on c/b

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back