Steam Generator wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone can advise on how to utilise the low voltage light relay on an Amerec AT5 Stream generator controlled by a T100 Touch control

Aparently to can switch a light on with the controller. I have no experience working with relays.

The relay has 2 connections NO and COM See pic.
Also a link to the manual

There is no wiring guidance in the instructions and I am a bit lost

How does this set up work and how would you wire it

Thanks

http://www.amerec.com/Files.aspx?f_id=57965 View media item 80298

Sponsored Links
A relay is just a magnetically controlled switch, treat it like you would any other switch.

Thanks
Im just a little worried about putting 230 V on it and damaging the PCB

The relay says the following

16A 250 VAC
40A 250VAC
20A 30 VDC
1hp 125 VAC

Don't understand that

I have done a little drawing to make sure I have this right
View media item 80339
Im concerned because we and America have a different idea of low voltage

Appreciate any help on this

Thanks

Yep - low voltage in the UK is what we (simplistically) might think of as mains voltage; 110V or 240V is considered "low voltage".

A torch running at, say, 3V or 12V is ELV, Extra Low Voltage. Someone will likely clarify the specific crossover between ELV and LV shortly.

To your relay, though, it certainly looks like it will be happily switching 16A at 250V (although I do wonder why it reads 16A and 40A at 250V).

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, turn it on and use your multimeter to confirm there is no voltage across the relay / switch outputs when it is not energised (controller set to "off") and again that there is no voltage across it when it is energised (controller set to "on").

Once you've verified that there is no voltage on the pins (and I don't expect there to be, just protecting your meter from the next test!), switch the meter to test continuity. When not energised, you should get open circuit across the contacts (the "NO" stands for Normally Open). When you energise it, then you should get closed-circuit.

If that happens, then it's definitely a relay (an electrical switch, as plugwash suggests) and, according to the labelling, you should be able to put a mains (aka Low Voltage, aka 230V) lamp across it.

And your drawing looks good to me.

Sponsored Links
16A 250 VAC
40A 250VAC
20A 30 VDC
1hp 125 VAC

German VDE ( Verein Deutsche Engineers ) rate it as 16 amp in their standards

Americans rate it as 40 amp in their standards

I think the difference is based on the required minimum life time of the device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back