Steamed bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just bought a batch of used "Midhurst White" bricks. Apparently they are steamed and not burned in a kiln.

Does anyone know how if this changes the performance of the bricks and if it's anything I need to be aware of while using them?

Hope someone can help me.

Cheers
J

Sponsored Links
Research sand lime or calcium silicate bricks and see if the pro's and cons suit your proposed use.

Good for compressive strength, not so good for weathering iirc.

I used to have a house where they were used for the internal walls. They seem very hard, are difficult to chase, and I am told will absorb a lot of water. A SDS+ will drill them. When the house was built, they were presumably cheaper that the red bricks used for the external walls. The shape was very sharp and regular. I believe the sand-lime mixture is autoclaved at high temperature and pressure.

Why did you buy them?

Thanks JohnD and Woody for your answers. Much appreciated.

I bought them to use for some minor garden projects and maybe a brick BBQ and eventually a small shed. The reason why I bought the Midhurst brick is simply because they cheap and the seller was local. Have never done any brick laying before and felt it would be a fun try it.

But once again in life I got what I paid for (£50 for 1000+ used bricks sounded like a bargain).

When people told me it was used mainly for interior walls I got a bit worried.

I did a test and they seem to get small cracks when exposed to fire. So not suitable for the BBQ.

It was interesting reading about calcium silicate bricks. Now I know about more what they are suitable for.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I had to put my plans on hold for a bit so I might have a few hundred to spare.
I live in west sussex so you're welcome to buy some if you're in the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back