steel bath on wall battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to support a steel bath on wall battens, the space is perfect for support on three sides. Two sides are stone wall and the third is stud wall. Has anyone done it this way? The bath is sitting parallel to the joists, so not having the leg supports takes the load off the joists. Plus it allows plenty of room underneath for soil pipes etc.

Sponsored Links
I would still use the bath feet and bearers on the floor - the more support to the tub the better. Without the feet, standing in the bath to use a shower may end up like standing in a hammock.

I think supporting a bath off "battens" fixed to 2n.o masonry walls and 1n.o timber stud wall is a bad solution. Seat the bath on the floor and let the joists take the load.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether a bath is designed to be supported solely by its rim.

But if i were to do it as you describe i would certainly be fitting upright props from the support batten down to the floor, either onto another timber bearer or fixed to the joists. Defeats the object i know but your idea is a little bonkers!

this all started when I called Bette UK about clearance around the leg brace for a soil pipe. The person at Bette explained that it's only in the UK that legs are supplied with a Bette bath. In Europe, legs are not supplied as normal and the usual way to support a bath is from the rim. He explained that on a Bette bath, the rim is effectively a U section of steel and therefore of high strength. Sufficient to support by a continuous batten around at least three sides, with a timber frame at the front. It's not a plastic bath, it's 3mm steel, I imagine that it's a very stiff construction as opposed to plastic baths which need a piece of board on the base to give extra support.

Well in that case do it as i describe effectively creating a stud wall around its perimeter. The weight must be transferred to the floor and not solely reliant upon wall fixings as they will likely flex or become disturbed within the masonry.

I take your point about the masonry fixings giving over time. It would be easier to get level if a frame is created and supported off the joists. The issue behind all this is getting clearance under the bath for the soil pipe etc and also getting the bath as low as possible. I am no longer a spring chicken ;) and having a shower/bath lower than the usual bath height will suit me fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back