Steel Beam Installation on Engineering Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice on what my builder has done here.

The project is a single story flat roof extension 6m x4m, with 4m bi-fold doors. The builder has placed the steel beam across the bi-fold door opening and has chosen to use 3 engineering bricks on both leafs of the wall instead of a pad stone. The SE comments are as follows:

P1 - 215mm deep x 440mm long (C-15) concrete pad
stone or 3 course of engineering bricks to full wall width.

I've attached some photos of the steel beam sitting on top of the bricks. My questions are -

1. Beneath the 3 engineering bricks there is a very small concrete block, presumably the builder put this there to help him get to height - is it ok to do this?

2. The engineering bricks are not tied into each other across the span of the cavity, is that ok, or should that have been done - just seems a bit weird that they arn't tied into each other, but i really don't know.

3. The right hand side on the outer leaf wall looks like it is leaning to the left, does it look safe and ok to leave it like this? It also looks like the mortar at the bottom is a bit patchy and not full - is that a problem, could have that caused it to lean slightly when the steel beam was lowered onto it?

I wasn't present when they lowered the beam, i didn't see how it was done. I'm also concerned that they didn't leave the bricks very long to set and laid the bricks the same day they placed the steel beam, is that a problem, how long should they usually be left for the mortar to set before placing the beam?

I could be just worrying about nothing, but would appreciate any opinions or advice on whats been done so far, should i have any concerns? I've attached the SE notes too.

Thanks very much in advance
T

Attachments

• IMG_0337 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0337 Large.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0338 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0338 Large.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0339 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0339 Large.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Engineering bricks are commonly used for that and may be OK, but should be confirmed by the engineer.

I'd be much more concerned with that massive cavity - it's wider than the bricks either side, and therfore there is greater stress on each leaf either side.

You should get this all confirmed in writing with the engineer. Do not rely on the builder or the building inspector.

1. Beneath the 3 engineering bricks there is a very small concrete block, presumably the builder put this there to help him get to height - is it ok to do this?

Usually yes. If not, the SE would have specified 10N blocks or an engineering brick pillar.

Edit - apologies didn't catch what you meant. I wouldn't be too worried if something formed from strong material like dense concrete. Generally I prefer full masonry units and then any additional height being achieved using steel packer/bearing plates. But I'm not naive and know builders will use all sorts of things to pack masonry up to the level needed if they haven't planned ahead.

2. The engineering bricks are not tied into each other across the span of the cavity, is that ok, or should that have been done - just seems a bit weird that they aren't tied into each other, but i really don't know.

No - this contradicts the spec from the SE where it says 'bricks to full wall width.'

3. The right hand side on the outer leaf wall looks like it is leaning to the left, does it look safe and ok to leave it like this? It also looks like the mortar at the bottom is a bit patchy and not full - is that a problem, could have that caused it to lean slightly when the steel beam was lowered onto it?

Yeah - not great.

This wants taking back down and rebuilt as a solid wall/pier as shown on the drawing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your responses.

George_engineer can you just clarify number 2 for me - what does 'bricks to full wall width' mean exactly?

And on point number 3, is there any chance you can provide me an example of what you mean by solid wall/pier, i don't quite understand the drawing and what i'm looking at.

Thanks again

It means the wall should not be a cavity wall, but should be built from fully bonded brick/concrete block for the full width.

If you look at the plan, the pier is drawn fully hatched as opposed to the cavity wall which has a gap between the inner and outer leaves:
1707410826009.png

Okay - B2 makes a bit more sense for the photo. The drawing disagrees with the specification then. Best to check with the engineer for which takes precedence.

Must admit, what I would normally do is have a box beam sat fully on the inner leaf with a welded plate to carry the outer leaf, or a proprietary cavity lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back