Steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any charitable structural engineers (or even otherwise but capable) who may help me with my steel beam selection for creating a knock through.

I am pretty well knowledgable about building, building control, and even could at one time do these calculations (hnc structural design) but my grey matter will not work that well.

Its just the written calculation that i would need to produce to building control that i seek.

The knock through is 2770mm wide the wall being knocked through is built of brickwork (good solid brick outhouse) i propose 150mm end bearing on concrete padstones the wall is 102mm brick, 50mm cavity, 102mm brick, so its 2 beams that will be drilled at 600mm centres through web and bolted with threaded bar and tubular metal spacers.
the lodas above are 2200mm of rendered brickwork to wall plate , the rafters bear on this wallplate and carry a slate roof that is 2000mm to the ridge at 40 degree pitch. there are no floor joists to consider.

I would like to use steel section 178 x 102 x 19kg this allows me flush ceiling through and flush floor above (the knock through is an extension)

If there are any willing and able persons able to help me it would be much appreciated

Russell

Sponsored Links
Is the opening for a large window or door? If so it may be simpler to go to one of the lintel manufactures for an off the shelf lintel..

If its for an extension then you are missing some loads.

You mostly pay for liability insurance and time when someone designs a beam for you.. if you wish to do a design yourself then look up BS5950

Are there any charitable structural engineers
I could not read on after this point for laughing.

I'm sure there must be professional bods who would do pro-bono work should the right and deserving customer come along. However, they would all go bankrupt if they answered every begging letter.

Do as static says and cough up the dosh and lets someone elses liability cop it for you.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Noseall but youre "stuck"
Im not after liability i am after calculations!
I am fully versed in all the construction detail and suspect my serial size will suffice all the parameters, just need the correct maths (which dosent lie), its a self build the liability rests with me to construct properly and soundly.
as for bad math from my genorous SE, well i would ask building control to confirm (thats why ive paid them).

By "stuck" i mean you only see things in a way that you have been made to see them, Unfortunately youre character as been made for you, not by you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back