Second hand rsj/steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm after a bit of advice regarding steel beams and building control. I'm building a garage extension and have consulted a structural engineer who has provided beam calculations etc. I've put in the building notice to the council and have started shopping around for steel beams. My question is, is it okay to buy secondhand/not used steel beams or will the building control inspector want to see some form of certificate regarding the steels?

Thanks in advance,
BASH0001

Sponsored Links
No problem, as long as the section-size is the same as that specified.
(assuming the SE hasn't specified the higher-grade S355 steel, which would be unusual)

Thanks Tony1851. I'm just worried the BCO will want to see some certificates etc that I won't have if I buy a steel from eBay.

I've never known certification being required for the odd steel beam in a domestic context.

But if you're concerned, why not give it a good wire-brushing- and painting?

(A problem may arise if there are holes drilled in the web. Ordinarily it will make not the slightest difference to the strength, but
some thick inspector might query it).

Sponsored Links
I used the S355 Steel to hold up my loft floor. Building Control didn't want to see the certificates for the just the calculations.

I did them myself online but they won't accept them because they don't have an engineers name on. I spoke to them on Friday and their request for the engineers name on them is due to them 'not having the manpower to check self calculated beams'.

I was going to do the calculations online but was worried that building control would say something similar so got a SE in. I did read something on a forum about similar instances where the council wanted an engineers name but the house owner argued that it was irrelevant and their job was to check calculations not names.

Interesting point Bash; I expect they want a name, so they they can pass any blame on, or is it just a tick boxing attitude. I doubt if they even check the names a valid one.

I used the S355 Steel to hold up my loft floor. Building Control didn't want to see the certificates for the just the calculations.

I did them myself online but they won't accept them because they don't have an engineers name on. I spoke to them on Friday and their request for the engineers name on them is due to them 'not having the manpower to check self calculated beams'.

That's crap. There is no requirement for any name. The requirement is that the council have the opportunity to check your calculations and agree they are suitable or not. Whether they take the opportunity is up to them.

I don't put a name on mine. Just in case . Lol.

I heard that but don't want an argument with the BCO just yet. The steels he wants the calcs for have been fitted for 6 months already. I reckon if I write 'Woody woz ere' on them they will accept them ;)

I got certificates with my beams, one of them was originally part of a 14mtr length :0

That's the biggest crock of 5h1t I have heard, it is exactly their job to check, there is no provision for self certification from a professional like for example FENSA or electrics under part P.
I would tell them that is unacceptable as that is what you have paid your fee for.
Most of my structural calcs are done by a friends brother in Glasgow, who my BCOs would never have heard of, though to be honest I have no idea if they check them or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back