Steel bean cavity wall sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Getting builders quotes for a single storey rear extension and it has been pointed out to me the the SE has specified 2 x 305x165x46 UB for a cavity wall that has a total width of 260mm. I have drawn it out below, does this sound/look correct?

upload_2017-3-11_23-5-32.png

The span is quite long at 6.5m and it also supports an internal structural wall and the new roof of the extension. The beams are planned to be above current ceiling heights.

What am I going to do with the sticky out bits> :(

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Iit's possible that the internal beam is to support the cross member, more so than the inner wall skin. On that basis, then you would start the outer beam to be flush with the outer wall. The inner beam would then be below the floorbards, and above the ceiling.

The SE may be able to specifiy a narrower, but taller pair of beams tbough, so it's best to have a chat with him.

Thanks.

The questions has already been put to him so hopefully will have an answer Monday (He doesn't seem to work at 11PM on a Saturday night! :) I'm not an expert but shouldn't the web of the beam be central under the wall it's supporting? I don't want to go thinner or higher, my toilet soil pipe is rapidly moving up to the centre of the wall! :(

Cheers.

You won't be having a 57.5mm cavity surely?

What insulation will fit in that? Or are you insulating internally?

Sponsored Links
That's the cross sections of the existing rear of the house.

Cheers.

Are we saying they are too large? There is quite a bit of "stuff" attached to them. Should I check the engineers working out? I can supply his homework if you want.:)

In terms of domestic loadings, a 6.5m span is not excessively long, and shallower beams should almost certainly be possible. By all means post the figures here,
but cut out addresses/ID.
In many instances, SEs purposely over-estimate loads to make life quicker and easier when doing the figures.

Hopefully readable

upload_2017-3-12_16-53-0.png

upload_2017-3-12_16-53-22.png

upload_2017-3-12_16-56-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-12_16-51-40.png
    upload_2017-3-12_16-51-40.png
    534.3 KB · Views: 173
  • upload_2017-3-12_16-52-13.png
    upload_2017-3-12_16-52-13.png
    752.9 KB · Views: 189

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back