Steel bean cavity wall sizes

It's 7 in the morning and I haven't had my three coffees and 4 fags yet but from what I can see he's designed the beams to act independently.
One of the problems with long beams is not so much excessive stress or deflection, but lateral buckling (ie they can tend to twist sideways before they
fail in other ways).

The only way to prevent this is by full- or partial restraint of the top flange. He's allowed for this on the inner beam because to an extent it restrained by the incoming beam, so will not be able to buckle sideways, but not so the outer beam. Strictly, there can be no criticism of his approach on a purely structural basis but it still gives excessively deep beams for a domestic setting where headroom is important.

One way round this problem is to have one wide- flange beam instead of two narrow-flange beams. In that position, I would have tried a 'column-section'. These are 'H'-shaped beams which are as wide as they are deep. Typically, that span and loading could be accommodated by a 254 x 254 beam. It would be heavier than two separate beams, but could be supplied in two or even three lengths and bolted together in position (though that adds to the cost).

Swings and roundabouts really, but in this case, I would have pointed out to the client the issues involved and let them decide - shallower (and prob. more expensive) beam; or deeper and more intrusive beam?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, If I can reciprocate, you shouldn't smoke! :) I will have a chat with my SE about the possibility of a single beam.

As an update the engineer didn't want to recalculate a more suitable beam with out charging at first and then not at all. His final statement was actually:

"Looking through this email thread your criticism of what has been provided to date appears to be unfounded. To answer your question, I will not be undertaking any further design work (regardless of whether you think that you should be charged or not) due to my current workload, which has changed considerably from when you were quoted."

Nice bloke........

I'm no engineer, so can't comment on his calculations, but it's the design of the beam that sits proud of the house that I feel needs addressing. Looking at his reply, he's either done a simple calculation without any thought for the ramifications, or isn't experienced enough to consider them. Either way, if he won't help you resolve the issue, then you need to query if he's done his job properly.

Sponsored Links
it's the design of the beam that sits proud of the house that I feel needs addressing
It sits in an internal location.
The other pair of beams (external wall) can sit on a deliberately wider cavity wall, i.e. build the return piers with a 125mm cavity.

Hi.

Getting builders quotes for a single storey rear extension and it has been pointed out to me the the SE has specified 2 x 305x165x46 UB for a cavity wall that has a total width of 260mm. I have drawn it out below, does this sound/look correct?

View attachment 115584

The span is quite long at 6.5m and it also supports an internal structural wall and the new roof of the extension. The beams are planned to be above current ceiling heights.

What am I going to do with the sticky out bits> :(

Cheers.

@Benway. I know this is an old thread but was just wondering where you got to with this in the end? Your design looks almost identical to what we’re planning so it would be interesting to see what your solution was.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back