Steel bridging different thickness walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we're building a single storey extension. We ideally want to put a steel across 2 walls of different thickness. one is the old part of the house 25 cm thick, other is a new extension 30 cm thick. SE says this is tricky due to the different width of walls. I've sent him the idea in the picture below which I think could work. The steel which needs to be stronger than standard lintel because it would be the lintel over a doorway and also has another steel perpendicular to it sitting on top. I am wondering whether steel spreader plates would work just as good as padstones. Does this look viable? Thanks
pro-vwpPJU68.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is there a wall above? That is what the steel needs to be centered on.

Idd be inclined to rebuild the end of the 9" wall with a pier to match the width of the cavity wall.

Thanks.
It's flat roof single storey room with similar extension attached. No wall above to support. The perpendicular steel above this proposed lintel/steel bridges a 4m gap, flat roof through web.
So a 30cmx30cm pier on corner should be enough?
I've since found these pictures which do have a wall above to support so our loads should be much lower.
Screenshot_20230706-205353_Chrome.jpg

I think I can deduce from the pictures I posted of someone else's project that these would cause thermal bridging problems.

Sponsored Links
Hi we're building a single storey extension. We ideally want to put a steel across 2 walls of different thickness. one is the old part of the house 25 cm thick, other is a new extension 30 cm thick. SE says this is tricky due to the different width of walls. I've sent him the idea in the picture below which I think could work. The steel which needs to be stronger than standard lintel because it would be the lintel over a doorway and also has another steel perpendicular to it sitting on top. I am wondering whether steel spreader plates would work just as good as padstones. Does this look viable? Thanks
View attachment 307609
Is it possible for the end of the new wall to have no cavity, so it is solid masonary? Then a steel would sit across old wall blocks and onto new wall blocks, no need for the padstones in this orientation.

Perhaps you should just have your SE work it all out... tricky or not.
I would have thought he comes across this situation weekly.

You could do with putting more information on here, sizes, photos etc.

Our structural engineer isn't really being very helpful about this, he says ask architect who's too busy. Neither is building control.
What would really help us is if we were allowed to build a new wall with a smaller cavity, 50mm, and then perhaps add 50mm insulation on inside of new extension room so that bricks and blocks match up on both sides.
anyone think this is likely to be allowed. I asked building control, they just say submit plans.
20230711_172248_resized~2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back