Steel Framed Houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i am currently buying my first house and the surveyor has come back with an assumption that the house is a steel frame construction,

what are the tell signs that a house is a steel frame construction, what do you look for to find out if it is or not,

as the surveyor has not 100% said it is a stell frame construction, he has only popped his head into the loft and seen some steel,

the house was built in 1975 if thats helps any,

cheers

Halude

Sponsored Links
hmm I have no experience of surveying, so don't take my answer as set in stone. I can only give a personal opinion, not a professional one!.

Personally I couldn't care less what its made of as long as its safe, dry and secure.

In-fact, it may be better to have a steel roof. they are stronger and last longer..

can I ask why is this an issue to you?

i am currently buying my first house and the surveyor has come back with an assumption that the house is a steel frame construction,

"an assumption"?

If the surveyor cannot establish whether a house is steel frame construction or not then he hasn't competently surveyed the house. Get him to go back and do it properly and tell the selling agents that the surveyor requires sufficient access to do this. He should be able to tell whether the steels in the loft are part of the original structure or later repairs (and why - a 1970s house that needed structural repairs would set alarm bells clanging).

Or just walk away, there are other houses, more co-operative sellers and more clued-up surveyors out there.

Sponsored Links

"an assumption"?

If the surveyor cannot establish whether a house is steel frame construction or not then he hasn't competently surveyed the house. Get him to go back and do it properly and tell the selling agents that the surveyor requires sufficient access to do this. He should be able to tell whether the steels in the loft are part of the original structure or later repairs (and why - a 1970s house that needed structural repairs would set alarm bells clanging).

Or just walk away, there are other houses, more co-operative sellers and more clued-up surveyors out there.
My thoughts exactly. Who was this surveyor? If he can't identify a steel framed house he should go back to measuring windows.

Thank you alll for your replies, yes I have questioned the reliability of the survayer as the house next door had a survey done and last year the block 1 of which I was going to buy is made of timber frame, whuch has raised more questions has forced me and my partner to pull out of buying this house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back